NAKASEC Virginia Campaigns Coordinator
Full Time Based in Annandale, VA
(As of January 29th 2019)
NAKASEC is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice.
NAKASEC maintains offices in Annandale, Virginia, Chicago, Illinois and Los Angeles/Orange County, California. Our work in Virginia began in 2012, and current programs include Immigrant Rights Organizing, Civic Engagement, Citizenship Promotion, and Youth Leadership Development.
NAKASEC VA’s Campaigns Coordinator will be a key member of a local-national team that develops and implements multi-pronged education, advocacy, civic engagement and organizing projects to advance policies towards social, economic and racial justice. Your goal is to build a strong, informed and active Korean and Asian American base in Northern Virginia to win policies that uplift our communities. Responsibilities include, but are not limited, to:
- Develop, coordinate and implement community organizing and integrated voter engagement campaigns at the local and state level.
- Conduct and coordinate community outreach and engagement including door knocking, phone banking and outreach at small businesses, markets, educational institutions, community events and religious institutions.
- Organize and facilitate community meetings and forums.
- Provide community members with services as needed.
- Create relevant public educational materials.
- Recruit, train, and develop community members.
- Public speaking at conferences and events as needed.
- Assist with coordinating relevant media and publicity efforts.
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with relevant community leaders, local and state legislators, community-based organizations and coalitions to enhance NAKASEC VA activities and campaigns.
- Assist with fundraising opportunities to support NAKASEC VA and provide information about the program for grant submission and reporting as needed.
- Work with, collaborate and coordinate with NAKASEC VA’s national organization, NAKASEC, on activities and campaigns as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Key Qualification Criteria:
- A belief in community’s ability to support each other, organize and achieve desired goals together.
- Sound interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds to achieve goals.
- Commitment to immigrant rights and social, economic and racial justice.
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Ability to take initiative.
- Ability to think creatively, prioritize multiple projects, and commitment to learning.
- Ability to think independently.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Pluses: Experience working on Korean American, Asian American, immigrant community issues and/or social, economic and racial justice issue; experience working with community members through service, education, organizing and/or advocacy is a plus; and demonstrated track record of working collaboratively in local partnerships and/or with multi-ethnic or multi-sector communities.
- A valid driver’s license, car and car insurance.
- Bilingual in the Korean and English languages an asset.
- Residence in Northern Virginia preferred.
The NAKASEC VA Campaigns Coordinator reports to the NAKASEC DC Area Director. NAKASEC offers a salary commensurate with experience (starting $38K) and full health, dental, and vision insurance.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to email@example.com. Please write subject heading “NAKASEC VA Campaigns Coordinator.”
For more information, please visit our website at www.nakasec.org.
NAKASEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.