Posted: April 19, 2019
Full Time Based in Annandale, VA
NAKASEC is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice.
NAKASEC maintains offices in Annandale, Virginia, Chicago, Illinois and Los Angeles/Orange County, California. Our work in Virginia began in 2012, and current programs include Immigrant Rights Organizing, Civic Engagement, Citizenship Promotion, and Youth Leadership Development.
Position Description: The Community Organizer will work closely with NAKASEC VA staff to build a strong base of community members to build power and execute campaigns to advance policies towards social, economic and racial justice. This is a full-time position with responsibility for coordinating NAKASEC VA’s immigrant rights campaigns. All staff at NAKASEC VA is expected to participate in organizing and fundraising campaigns. Key duties and responsibilities include:
- Do direct outreach and build a base of NAKASEC VA members, the majority of whom are directly impacted by immigration and cross-cutting issues, who will participate in demanding changes from decision makers and creating the political climate that allows for those changes to be adopted.
- Ensure that community leaders have a full understanding of NAKASEC VA, local, state, and federal power analysis, various NAKASEC VA programs, and a commitment to NAKASEC VA and to multi-issue organizing.
- Assist community leaders in planning and implementing local, state and federal issue campaigns consistent with NAKASEC VA’s overall work and in accordance with available financial and staff resources.
- Support community leaders in participating in NAKASEC VA events (such as public meetings, planning retreats, advocacy days, fundraisers, mobilizations, etc.) and in organizing local events (such as legislative forums or actions).
- Organize direct actions, events, trainings, meetings, and other tactics to move the campaigns forward on a regular basis.
- Stay abreast of relevant immigration related news and policies at the local, state and federal level.
- Identify issues for organizing campaigns.
- Coordinate campaign messaging, traditional media work, mass communications, and digital organizing.
- Prepare community members to speak in public settings, such as media interviews or conferences, or be prepared for public speaking engagements.
- Represent NAKASEC VA in local and state coalitions.
- Coordinate with NAKASEC national and affiliates on relevant national campaigns.
- Maintain complete and accurate membership and leadership development information and update this information in databases regularly.
- Participate in relevant skills-based and professional development trainings.
- Provide information for grant submission and reporting as needed.
Service Provision (10%)
- Plan and deliver services, such as know your rights trainings, DACA renewal application services, healthcare referrals, and others with Community Service Coordinator.
- Report outcomes of these services.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Participate in year-round organizing, civic engagement, and fundraising campaigns with rest of NAKASEC VA team.
- Other duties as assigned.
Key Qualification Criteria:
- Mission alignment: Commitment to immigrant rights and social, economic and racial justice for and with Asian American communities. A belief in community’s ability to support each other, organize and achieve desired goals together.
- Strong inter-personal skills: skills including the ability to work with people from diverse
- backgrounds. Ability to read people and build relationships that move people to action.
- A passion for justice, a fighting sensibility, and a talent for problem-solving.
- A willingness to learn and the ability to work independently with guidance as well as with a team.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Pluses: Community organizing experience; experience working on Korean American, Asian American, immigrant community issues and/or social, economic and racial justice issues; experience working with community members through service, education, organizing and/or advocacy; and demonstrated track record of working collaboratively in local partnerships and/or with multi-ethnic or multi-sector communities.
- A valid driver’s license, car and car insurance.
- Bilingual in English and an Asian language an asset.
- Residence in Northern Virginia preferred.
The NAKASEC VA Community Organizer reports to the NAKASEC D.C. Area Director. NAKASEC VA offers a salary ($38K) commensurate with experience and full health, dental, and vision insurance.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write subject heading “NAKASEC VA Community Organizer.”
For more information, please visit our website at www.nakasec.org.
NAKASEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.