NAKASEC Virginia Civic Engagement Coordinator
Based in Annandale, VA
(As of August 31, 2018)
NAKASEC is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice.
NAKASEC maintains offices in Annandale, Virginia, Chicago, Illinois and Los Angeles/Orange County, California. Its work in Virginia began in 2012, and current programs include Immigrant Rights, Civic Engagement, and Youth Leadership Development.
NAKASEC VA’s Resource Organizer will be a key member of a team that develops and implements year-round multi-pronged education, advocacy, civic engagement and organizing projects to advance policies towards social, economic and racial justice. Organizations and movements need resources. This position will coordinate NAKASEC VA efforts to grow and retain funding and supporters, and engage supporters in organizing and civic engagement campaigns. All staff at NAKASEC VA is expected to participate in organizing and fundraising campaigns. Key duties and responsibilities include:
1) Write and submit grant applications and reports, as well as maintain a database of existing and prospective grant funders.
2) Support staff to develop and record outcomes and metrics of success.
3) Serve as lead coordinating staff to work with NAKASEC VA stakeholders to cultivate their involvement in fundraising, including the annual April fundraiser, major donor campaign, membership drives, visibility of social media giving opportunities, and direct mail appeals. This may include coordination with NAKASEC national staff.
4) Maintain and update fundraising elements of NAKASEC’s internal database.
5) Ensure timely acknowledgments of donations from supporters and members.
Volunteer Management (40%)
1) Integrate supporters into organizing and civic engagement campaigns.
2) Recruit, train, and develop volunteer leadership to build Korean and Asian American community power.
3) Maintain volunteer and field canvass calendar.
4) Follow-up with volunteer applications and prospective volunteers.
5) Serve as lead coordinating staff to supervise volunteers.
1) Attend weekly staff meetings.
2) Represent NAKASEC in relevant coalitions.
3) Participate in year-round organizing and civic engagement campaigns with rest of NAKASEC VA team.
4) Other duties as assigned.
Key Qualification Criteria:
- Mission alignment: Commitment to immigrant rights and social, economic and racial justice. A belief in community’s ability to support each other, organize and achieve desired goals together.
- Strong inter-personal skills: skills including the ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds. Experience with training and motivating staff and volunteers. Ability to read people and build relationships.
- Effective project management skills: Ability to take initiative and experience meeting deadlines. Ability to think creatively, prioritize multiple projects, and commitment to learning. Attention to detail.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Pluses: Experience working on Korean American, Asian American, immigrant community issues and/or social, economic and racial justice issue; experience working with community members through service, education, organizing and/or advocacy is a plus; and experience managing a successful membership program, event planning, and promotion.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- A valid driver’s license, car and car insurance.
- Bilingual in the Korean and English languages an asset.
- Residence in Northern Virginia preferred.
The NAKASEC VA Resource Organizer reports to the NAKASEC DC Area Director. NAKASEC offers a salary (high $30Ks; negotiable) commensurate with experience and full health, dental, and vision insurance.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and salary history and expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write subject heading “NAKASEC VA Resource Organizer.”
For more information, please visit our website at www.nakasec.org.
NAKASEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.