Based in Los Angeles, CA
NAKASEC was founded by the leaders of local Korean American organizations who saw the need to have a progressive Korean American voice at the national level after the heartbreaking experiences of the Los Angeles Civil Unrest in 1992 and in the midst of the passage of state and federal anti-immigrant and anti-welfare legislation in the mid-1990s. NAKASEC is now known for delivering community voices too often unheard in federal policy campaigns, winning results, coordinating grassroots power across cities, and building coalitions.
Our mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, racial, and economic justice.
Major Responsibilities Include:
- Developing and implementing media, social media, communications and public relations strategies for NAKASEC and its affiliates
- Working with NAKASEC staff, affiliate staff, and community partners to determine the best opportunities to promote the organization and its priorities
- Writing, editing, and overseeing design and production of all communications materials including press releases, advisories, letters to the editors, presentations, talking points, event flyers, op-eds, newsletters, blogs, website material, social media posts, and public education materials
- Coordinating media &public relations efforts (with affiliates as necessary), including planning press conferences and media briefings
- Providing communications and media support and coaching to NAKASEC staff, affiliate staff, and community leaders
- Maintaining and building NAKASEC’s relationships with print, television, and online media outlets, as well as develop relationships with other communication professionals, coalitions, and external organizations
- Speaking on behalf of NAKASEC at conferences, events, and media
- Fielding and responding to media inquiries
- Carrying out other duties as assigned
- Commitment to the mission of NAKASEC and social justice issues
- Demonstrated understanding of the multiple Asian American communities who NAKASEC organizes
- Minimum of 3-5 years directly related work experience
- Excellent writing, editing, proofreading skills and speaking ability
- Developing and executing communications plans (including new media), particularly on a legislative or advocacy goal
- Understanding of social media and how it can be used to deliver impactful messaging and generate news coverage
- Strong cultural competency
- Korean language or another Asian language proficiency a plus
- Working in a fast-paced environment and meeting tight deadlines
- Knowledge of graphic design and WordPress is desirable
Flexibility to respond to breaking news and work evenings and weekends as needed.
Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer competitive pay and benefits and a collaborative work environment with colleagues who are dedicated to social justice.
How to Apply:
Applicants should email a cover letter, resume and two professional references to Executive Director(Dae Joong Yoon, email@example.com) with the subject line: “Communications Director.” Applications will be reviewed until NAKASEC is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin or sexual orientation. We are committed to having a workforce that reflects the diversity of the population that we serve at all levels within the organization.
For more information about NAKASEC, visit www.nakasec.org.