Job Posting – download PDF
The National Korean American Service and Education Consortium (NAKASEC) is a dynamic grassroots-based organization empowering the Korean American community through education, advocacy and community organizing. We seek to project a national progressive voice and build the movement for social change.
Our current program areas include Immigrant Rights, Economic Security, Youth Organizing & Leadership Development, and Civic Engagement & Voter Empowerment.
NAKASEC is looking for a Communications Intern for Spring and Summer 2012. He/She will assist the Deputy Director in communications and media activities and will play a critical role in the communications team implementing traditional and social media strategies. This is a full-time, unpaid position based in Washington, DC. College credit can be made available.
Major Responsibilities Include:
- Monitoring national and regional news on issues that NAKASEC and affiliates work on, compiling daily news clips for internal staff distribution and bookmarking articles online
- Updating and maintaining a database of mainstream, regional, ethnic and online journalists, producers and bloggers
- Tracking press work, creating paste-ups of placements and updating monthly media reports
- Creating and maintaining an editorial calendar for media strategies
- Assisting with drafting materials such as press releases, media advisories, biographies, pitch letters and or other correspondence
- Uploading relevant media articles and placements to Facebook, Twitter and website
- Support Deputy Director and project teams to ensure timely progress of work
- Providing general office support
- Commitment to immigrant rights, civil rights, and social justice issues
- Results-oriented, organized and has strong attention to detail
- Willingness to learn, ability to follow instructions, take initiative, multi-task, work quickly and be flexible
- Be a team player
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills
- Ability to speak, write and understand intermediate Korean
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (primarily Word and Excel) and Web 2.0 experience
- Bachelor’s degree or current enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate program, preferably in communications
Reports to: Deputy Director
Please send a cover letter, resume and two writing samples to Jane Yoo, Deputy Director, email@example.com. Write “Communications Intern Search” in the subject line. College credit can be made available – check with your school administration for details.
Writing samples should be no longer than three pages. An article, press release or similar type of communications writing sample is preferred. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please note that due to the volume of applications we receive, we are able to only respond to those applicants whom we are interested in interviewing. No phone calls please. We are an equal opportunity employer.
NAKASEC has offices in Washington DC and Los Angeles and local affiliates in Los Angeles (the Korean Resource Center) and Chicago (the Korean American Resource and Cultural Center) and works in partnership with community based organizations across the nation. Visit www.nakasec.org and/or our Facebook page for more information.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.