Job Posting – download PDF
The National Korean American Service & Education Consortium (NAKASEC) seeks a hardworking, highly skilled, talented, and committed individual to serve as the Policy Analyst focusing on economic security and civic engagement of low-income seniors for its Washington D.C. office.
NAKASEC is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans within the social justice movement. NAKASEC has offices in Los Angeles and Washington, DC. NAKASEC has affiliates in Los Angeles (The Korean Resource Center) and in Chicago (The Korean American Resource & Cultural Center) and works in partnership with local community based organizations across the nation. Major program areas: Civic Engagement (Redistricting, Elections and Census), Civil Rights (LGBTQ, Hate Crimes, Language Access, Voting Rights), Financial Empowerment, Immigrant Rights (Immigration Reform, Immigrant Integration, and Enforcement), Youth Organizing, and Technical Assistance.
- Be a part of a local-national team that implements a multi-pronged education, advocacy and organizing project to strengthen elder civic engagement in economic security issues.
- Develop and implement a policy agenda focused on economic security for low-income communities.
- Advocate for policies and measures to enhance and address the economic security needs of low-income seniors.
- Conduct research and analyze existing data and studies to identify priority concerns and economic status of low-income seniors.
- Produce relevant educational materials.
- Represent NAKASEC at constituent and coalition partner meetings, events, and conferences. Develop and maintain strong relationships with key national and local groups.
- Speak on behalf of NAKASEC at conferences and events. Help coordinate media relevant activities including the development of messaging points and spokespersons.
- Oversee project evaluation activities.
- Provide ongoing technical assistance and program support to NAKASEC affiliates and partners.
- Work with NAKASEC staff as a team to create a strategic plan for developing new programs and building organizational capacity that will advance the organization’s mission and objectives.
- Produce and maintain relevant work & grant reports and other documentation.
Bachelor’s degree and 5 or more years experience working on Korean American, Asian American & Pacific Islander, or economic security/empowerment policy initiatives. Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills. Strong research and analytical capacity. Experience in policy and legislative advocacy desired. Ability to work independently, meet deadlines, think creatively, and prioritize multiple tasks. Ability to work collaboratively in local-national or multi sectoral/ethnic partnerships. Some experience in working with ethnic and/or mainstream media desirable. Experience in community organizing and electoral campaigns an asset. This position requires occasional travel and ability to work some weekends.
NAKASEC offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and full health, dental, and vision insurance.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and salary history and requirement to Yeon-Ok Suh, NAKASEC, 1628 16th Street, Suite 306, Washington D.C. 20009 or via email at email@example.com. Put “NAKASEC POLICY ANALYST SEARCH” in the subject line if applying via e-mail. Only complete applications will be considered. For more information, please visit our website at www.nakasec.org.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage women and minorities to apply.
Closing date: May 13, 2011