ABOUT NAKASEC VA
NAKASEC (National Korean American Service & Education Consortium) is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice. NAKASEC maintains offices in Annandale and Centreville, VA; Chicago, IL; Los Angeles/Orange County, CA; and Montgomery County, PA.
NAKASEC Virginia (NAKASEC VA) is a grassroots-based organization with a mission to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. We organize for local, state, & national policies that will make a just Virginia for all communities, and work directly with our community members to identify issues and solutions, design campaigns, raise our voices as a collective, and hold decision-makers accountable. Our work in Virginia began in 2012, and current programs include Community Organizing, Civic Engagement, Community Services, and Leadership Development.
The Health Navigator will primarily work on NAKASEC VA’s efforts during the Affordable Care Act (ACA) open enrollment sign-up season (November 1 – December 15), and conduct additional outreach and support year-round.
Outside of the open enrollment period, job duties will include answering questions and enrolling eligible people in the ACA through special enrollment as needed, connecting non-eligible community members to alternative coverage options, performing outreach to and organizing with local communities regarding public benefits or other issues, and supporting NAKASEC VA staff in achieving organizational goals. The Health Navigator will report to the Community Health Manager, who will assist in training and provide remote support (with additional support from experienced services staff as needed). Although NAKASEC VA staff are currently working remotely, this position may include some in-office clerical work and paperwork processing.
Health Services Navigation and Coordination (80%)
- Conducting outreach and education around health benefit programs (ACA, Medicaid, FAMIS, etc.) for Asian American communities in Virginia
- Enrolling eligible individuals in ACA insurance and other benefits programs, and connecting non-eligible members with alternative programs and services
- Developing and maintaining relationships with community members, organizations, institutions of health, governing agencies, and other navigators locally and statewide
- Participating in required meetings and trainings
- Collecting and reporting accurate data on outreach and enrollment activities
- Working with NAKASEC VA’s organizing and services team to advance organizational goals, and build strength, support, and trust with community members
- Other duties as assigned
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Participate in year-round organizing, civic engagement, and fundraising campaigns with rest of NAKASEC VA team, including promoting and recruiting NAKASEC VA membership in the community
KEY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Mission alignment: commitment to social, economic and racial justice. A belief in community’s ability to support each other, organize, and achieve desired goals together
- Bilingual in English and Korean (spoken). Plus if can read/write Korean fluently
- Comfortable filling out paperwork in English
- Experience (personal or professional) OR familiarity with health insurance and affordability programs (including, but not limited to: Medicaid, FAMIS, ACA, and private coverage)
- Experience working one-on-one in a service provision or individual support setting
- Strong communication skills: strong verbal and written communication skills; can make complex information accessible and understandable for a variety of individuals and life experiences
- Learner-mindset: open to learning and trying new experiences; solutions-oriented; flexible problem-solver
- Collaborative: works well with others or in a team; can work well with internal and external partners
- Organized: Self-motivated and able to develop and move projects forward; create, track and meet deadlines; strategically set and report goals; manage multiple cases simultaneously
- Willing to work some weekends and evenings
- Driver’s license and access to car
- Access to stable internet connection for remote work
Location: remote but must live in Virginia; office is in Annandale, VA
Job Type: full-time
Salary & Benefits: $40K (negotiable), commensurate with experience and full health, dental, and vision insurance
TO APPLY APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED.
Email your resume and salary expectations to email@example.com with the subject “NAKASEC VA Health Navigator” IMMEDIATELY. Candidate must be able to start October 12, 2020.
Supplementary: submit a cover letter OR up to two paragraphs as to why this position interests you.
NAKASEC VA is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, LGBTQ+ candidates, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.