ABOUT NAKASEC VA
NAKASEC is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice. NAKASEC maintains offices in Annandale and Centreville, Virginia, Chicago, Illinois and Los Angeles/Orange County, California. Our work in Virginia began in 2012, and current programs include Community Organizing, Civic Engagement, Community Services, and Leadership Development:
NAKASEC VA (National Korean American Service & Education Consortium – Virginia) organizes Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. Through community organizing, public policy advocacy, civic engagement, and youth leadership development, NAKASEC VA works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change.
The New Leaders Collective (NLC) Civic Engagement Internship provides an opportunity for four (4) individuals aged 17-24 years old to be exposed to grassroots activism and organizing and support and contribute to ongoing campaigns and projects, with a focus on civic engagement work for Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities.
Through firsthand involvement in various civic engagement tactics, community outreach, and personal projects, students will develop their community engagement skills and gain a deeper understanding of the political and campaign process in state and federal elections.
The internship seeks to:
- Introduce students to various civic engagement tactics, as well as the political and campaign process in state and federal elections
- Provide participants with the tools to conduct political education campaigns with a variety of AAPI communities – including immigrant communities, low-income and working class residents, and multilingual and low-English speakers
- Develop participants’ political research and communication skills
- Positively contribute to the efforts of community groups working towards a fair democracy to increase accurate representation of AAPI Virginians and their issues
- Promote the next generation of AAPI organizers and changemakers.
*** In the event that group convenings are still limited due to COVID-19 by the time the program starts, the curriculum will be subject to change and may be done virtually. ***
KEY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Preferred bilingual in one of the following languages: Korean, Vietnamese, Mandarin Chinese languages in addition to English
- Demonstrated interest, knowledge, and/or background in the major issues facing the Asian American & Pacific Islander community
- Strong commitment to social, economic, racial, and gender justice, health access, community organizing and building power of underrepresented Asian communities
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to complete required tasks in a campaign setting
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently as well as with others in a team
- Previous canvass experience is helpful but not required, as training and coaching will be provided to all interns
- Be able to use a computer and learn how to use a software database
- Ability to work evenings or weekends
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
Applicants MUST be available for the entire duration of the program as this is an intensive, collaborative program.
Location: Annandale, VA and Centreville, VA
Job Type: Internship
Duration: September 21, 2020 – November 6, 2020 (7 weeks total)
Hours: 12 hours/week, with mandatory weekly meetings (time TBD)
- Short essay (1 page maximum) answering:
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the program reaches capacity. APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED.
People of color, women, LGBTQ+ people, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.