ABOUT NAKASEC VA
NAKASEC is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice. NAKASEC maintains offices in Annandale and Centreville, Virginia, Chicago, Illinois and Los Angeles/Orange County, California. Our work in Virginia began in 2012, and current programs include Community Organizing, Civic Engagement, Community Services, and Leadership Development:
NAKASEC VA (National Korean American Service & Education Consortium – Virginia) organizes Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. Through community organizing, public policy advocacy, civic engagement, and youth leadership development, NAKASEC VA works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change.
NAKASEC VA is hiring part-time Canvassers for our 2020 civic engagement campaign. This is a unique opportunity to share important voting information to Virginia residents’ doorsteps, and directly talk with them in phone and text conversations. Ideal candidates will be highly organized, detail-oriented individuals who thrive on person to person contact. Working independently and with fellow staff and volunteers, successful candidates will execute the following duties:
- Effectively inform community members on important voting information and deadlines through socially distanced literature drops, phone banking, and texting.
- Use technology to ensure accurate and timely data entry.
- Attend weekly debriefs.
- Complete daily and weekly reports on progress to goal for all metrics.
- Represent NAKASEC Virginia with professionalism and ethical conduct.
- Successfully complete required training.
- Other duties as assigned, as related to the success of the civic engagement campaign.
- Bilingual in one of the following languages, in addition to English: Korean, Vietnamese, Mandarin Chinese
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to complete required tasks in a campaign setting.
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently.
- Previous canvass experience is helpful but not required, as training and coaching will be provided to all employees.
- Be able to use a computer and learn how to use a software database.
- Ability to work evenings or weekends.
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
Location: Annandale, VA, with regular travel throughout Northern Virginia
Job Type: part-time (10-25 hours/week)
Duration: October 1, 2020 – November 3, 2020
TO APPLY APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED.
NAKASEC VA is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, LGBTQ+ candidates, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.