NAKASEC Virginia Canvassers – Part Time
May to End of June 2017
Who is NAKASEC?
NAKASEC is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice.
Our work in Virginia began five years ago and current programs are centered around Immigrant Rights, Civic Engagement, and Parent and Youth Organizing.
NAKASEC is hiring Canvassers for its 2017 civic engagement campaign. We are seeking individuals with a deep commitment to working with people of all backgrounds and build their capacity as agents of social change. This is a unique opportunity to directly talk with Virginia residents in door-to-door and phone conversations.
This part-time position (20 hours/week) is based out of Annandale, VA with regular travel throughout Northern Virginia.
Ideal candidates will be highly organized, detail-oriented individuals who thrive on person to person contact. Working independently and with fellow staff and volunteers, successful candidates will execute the following duties:
- Effectively engage consumers through door-to-door canvassing and phone conversations
- Use technology tools to ensure accurate and timely data entry
- Make adjustments to canvass tactics as instructed by canvass leadership
- Complete daily and weekly reports on progress to goal for all metrics
- Represent NAKASEC and the campaign with professionalism and ethical conduct
- Familiarize voters with NAKASEC’s issue campaigns and overall progressive vision
- Successfully complete required training
- Other duties as assigned, as related to the success of the civic engagement campaign.
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to complete required tasks in a campaign setting
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently
- Previous canvass experience is helpful but not required as training and coaching will be provided to all employees
- Be able to use a computer and learn how to use a software database
- Ability to work evenings or weekends
- Bilingual in the Korean and English languages are an asset
Canvassers will report to the Community Organizer and D.C. Area Director.
Pay is competitive. We are looking for individuals who can start immediately.
If you are interested, please contact Sookyung Oh with a resume at email@example.com.
NAKASEC is an equal opportunity employer.