The Korean Resource Center seeks a Youth Organizer to work in the Orange County office on youth outreach, organizing, and social justice programs targeting high school and college youth. This position will coordinate campus outreach, develop our year-round youth organizing program, and coordinate logistics for events that occur year-round that include membership meetings, youth committee meetings, and team retreats.
This position includes the following specific responsibilities:
Youth Outreach Coordination – 30%
• Coordinate with local high school and college campuses to speak with students about the Korean Resource Center and our youth program
• Coordinate educational workshops and guest speaking opportunities for staff around issues in North Orange County
• Develop long-term network of North Orange County campuses that can be engaged year-round
Youth Program Development / Volunteer Recruitment – 30%
• Working with our curriculum development committee, develop a live-curriculum that addresses issues that impact the AAPI community at the city, county, and federal level
• Coordinate guest speakers / “Master-Class” series for youth program including local organizers, community leaders and elected officials
• Coordinate youth volunteers for the Korean Resource Center’s campaigns focused in Orange County
• Provide youth volunteers field-training around door-knocking, phone banking, and classroom reps
• Lead youth-driven civic engagement events including campus voter registration drives, community block parties, and action days.
• Entering and maintaining volunteer data in PowerBase
• Assist in developing database system use
Budgeting & Planning – 10%
• Assist in annual planning and budgeting around organizing work plan
Event Management & Logistics – 10%
• Provide assistance on logistics for community events for staff in both Los Angeles and Orange County including our UNITY membership meetings and annual fundraising event in both Los Angeles and Orange County
Who You Are:
Strong applicants will be: detail-oriented, self-starting, fun, positive, funny, willing to try new things, and comfortable with issues of immigration and racial justice. We are looking for people who are comfortable talking with strangers and who know how to make others feel comfortable in a foreign environment. Relevant software and tools: Google Apps, Microsoft Suite, and some database use experience.
Strong applicants does not need to have years of campaign experience. However, we are looking for someone who is willing to try fresh ideas, prefer to work in teams, and who have a passion to organize young Asian Americans for a better Orange County.
About this Position:
The Youth Organizer will report to the Civic Engagement Coordinator. That person will oversee youth interns, volunteers, and any partner organizations collaborating on campaigns in Orange County. Salary is $33,000 – $35,000 commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance including dental and vision and an innovative work culture.
This position is based in Buena Park, CA, but will require transportation between the Buena Park and LA office. This includes work on joint organizing projects in both Orange County and Los Angeles, staff meetings, and other work duties.
Send a cover letter, a resume, and three references in a single document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Korean Resource Center:
The Korean Resource Center (KRC) was founded in 1983 to empower Korean American community, low-income immigrant and people of color communities through a holistic model that combines education, social services, and culture with effective community advocacy and organizing. KRC is guided by the principles Live Rightly, Know our Roots, Empower Ourselves, and Live in Harmony.