Position Announcement: Policy Director
The National Korean American Service & Education Consortium (NAKASEC) seeks a hardworking, talented, and committed individual to serve as the Policy Director. This position will be based in Annandale, VA.
NAKASEC is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans within the social justice movement. NAKASEC maintains offices in Los Angeles and Annandale, Virginia. NAKASEC has affiliates in Los Angeles (Korean Resource Center) and in Chicago (Korean American Resource & Cultural Center) and works in partnership with local community based organizations across the nation. Major program areas include: Immigrant Rights, Civic Engagement, Civil Rights, Financial Empowerment, Youth Organizing, and Technical Assistance.
- Be a part of a local-national team that develops and implements multi-pronged education, advocacy, and organizing projects to advance policies that improve the lives of Korean and Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities.
- Develop and implement advocacy agenda on priority issues for NAKASEC that include immigration reform, implementation of Affordable Care Act, language access, and voting rights.
- Build and maintain strategic relationships with policy makers, legislators, and key ally organizations.
- Monitor and analyze legislative proposals, policies and trends as they impact Korean and AAPI communities, particularly low-income families, seniors, women and young people.
- Produce relevant educational materials including reports, policy analyses, and fact sheets.
- Represent NAKASEC and speak at constituent and coalition partner meetings, events, and conferences.
- Work closely with the communications team to develop and coordinate media relevant activities including the development of messaging points and spokespersons.
- Provide pertinent information and analyses to NAKASEC staff, affiliates, partners, and community members.
- Work with NAKASEC staff as a team to develop new programs and build organizational capacity that will advance the organization’s mission and objectives.
- Produce and maintain relevant work & grant reports and other documentation.
- Other duties as needed by the organization.
· Experience working on social justice issues and policies relevant to Korean American, AAPI, immigrant or low income communities.
· Knowledge of immigration and health care policy and prior experience in a legislative environment a plus.
· A track record of developing and maintaining effective working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders.
· Ability to work collaboratively in local-national or multi-sectoral/ethnic partnerships.
· Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills.
· Strong research and analytical capacity.
· Ability to manage projects, think creatively, and prioritize multiple tasks.
· Ability to supervise and oversee staff, interns, and volunteers.
· Experience in community organizing and civic engagement campaigns an asset.
· Ability to travel occasionally and to work some evenings and weekends.
NAKASEC offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and full health, dental, and vision insurance.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, three reference, writing sample, and salary history and requirement to Dae Joong Yoon, NAKASEC, 900 S. Crenshaw Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90019 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “NAKASEC POLICY DIRECTOR SEARCH” in the subject line if applying via e-mail. Only complete applications will be considered. For more information, please visit our website at www.nakasec.org.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage women and minorities to apply.
Closing date: June 7 or until position is filled.