Position Description: DC Director
NAKASEC is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans and Pacific Islander (AAPI) within the social justice movement. NAKASEC maintains offices in Los Angeles and Annandale, Virginia. NAKASEC has affiliates in Los Angeles (Korean Resource Center) and in Chicago (Korean American Resource & Cultural Center) and works in partnership with local community based organizations across the nation. Major program areas include: Immigrant Rights, Civic Engagement, Civil Rights, Financial Empowerment, and Youth Organizing. Over twenty years, NAKASEC has been a part of the immigrant rights movement and achieved many victories such as the restoration of welfare benefits for low-income immigrant seniors, in-state tuition for undocumented students, DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival) and the recently introduced executive action programs. These new administrative relief programs will allow certain eligible immigrants to live without fear of family separation. During this important moment in American history, NAKASEC is excited to announce this position aimed to lift up community voices and restore American values of human rights and dignity for hard working families.
- Be a part of a local-national team that develops and implements multi-pronged education, advocacy, and organizing projects to advance policies that improve the lives of Korean and AAPI communities.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of an advocacy agenda on priority issues for NAKASEC that include immigration reform, economic & racial justice, immigrant integration, implementation of the Affordable Care Act, language access, and voting rights.
- Participate in building and maintaining strategic relationships with policy makers, legislators, and key ally organizations.
- Monitor and analyze legislative proposals, policies and trends as they impact Korean American and AAPI communities, particularly low-income families, seniors, women and young people.
- Produce relevant educational materials including reports, policy analyses, and fact sheets.
- Represent NAKASEC and speak at constituent and coalition partner meetings, events, and conferences.
- Participate in developing and coordinating a communications plan and media relevant activities including the development of messaging points and spokespersons.
- Provide pertinent information and analyses to NAKASEC staff, affiliates, partners, and community members.
- Work with NAKASEC staff as a team to develop new programs and build organizational capacity that will advance the organization’s mission and objectives.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Annandale, Virginia office
- Manage and support staff in the Annandale, Virginia area
- Produce and maintain relevant work & grant reports and other documentation.
- Other duties as needed by the organization.
- Experience working on social justice issues and policies relevant to Korean American, AAPI, immigrant or low income communities.
- Knowledge of immigration and health care policy and prior experience in a legislative environment a plus.
- A track record of developing and maintaining effective working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Ability to work collaboratively in local-national or multi-sectoral/ethnic partnerships.
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills.
- Strong research and analytical capacity.
- Ability to manage projects, think creatively, and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to supervise and oversee staff, interns, and volunteers.
- Experience in community organizing and civic engagement campaigns an asset.
- Live in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area (MD and Northern Virginia) or ability to relocate to the Washington D.C. metropolitan area
- Ability to travel occasionally and to work some evenings and weekends.
The DC Director is supervised by the Executive Director.
NAKASEC offers a salary commensurate with experience and full health, dental, and vision insurance.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and salary history and expectations to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write subject heading “NAKASEC DC Director.”
For more information, please visit our website at www.nakasec.org.
NAKASEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.