Internship Posting – download PDF
The National Korean American Service & Education Consortium (NAKASEC) was founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans on major social justice issues. NAKASEC maintains offices in Annandale, Virginia and Los Angeles, California. NAKASEC has affiliates in Chicago (Korean American Resource & Cultural Center) and Los Angeles (Korean Resource Center).
Our current program areas include: Immigrant Rights, Economic Security, Youth Organizing & Leadership Development, and Civic Engagement & Voter Empowerment.
NAKASEC is looking for an Intern for Spring 2014 and Summer 2014. He/She will assist staff with campaign, media, and civic activities and will play a critical role with implementing social strategies, blogging, conducting research on current program areas, and assisting with youth and community organizing. This is a part-time, paid position based in Annandale, VA/ Washington, DC. College credit can be made available.
Major Responsibilities Include:
- Monitoring national and regional news on issues that NAKASEC and affiliates work on, compiling daily news clips for internal staff distribution and bookmarking articles online
- Updating and maintaining a database of mainstream, regional, ethnic and online journalists, producers and bloggers
- Assisting with drafting materials such as flyers, media packets, pitch call scripts, and informational pamphlets
- Uploading relevant media articles and placements to Facebook, Twitter and website
- Assisting staff to ensure timely progress of work
- Providing general office support
- Commitment to immigrant rights, civil rights, and social justice issues
- Interest in participating in campaign and program events and activities
- Results-oriented, organized and has strong attention to detail
- Willingness to learn, ability to follow instructions, take initiative, multi-task, work quickly and be flexible
- Be a team player
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills
- Ability to speak, write and understand intermediate Korean
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (primarily Word and Excel) and Web 2.0 experience
- Bachelor’s degree or current enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate program in a relevant field
Reports to: Policy Coordinator
Please send a cover letter, resume and two writing samples to Emily Kessel, Policy Coordinator, email@example.com. Write “NAKASEC Intern Search” in the subject line. College credit can be made available – check with your school administration for details.
Writing samples are not mandatory but highly recommended and should be no longer than three pages. An article, blog entry about a social justice event, press release or written plan to outreach to the Korean American community and/or Asian American youth sample is preferred. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please note that due to the volume of applications we receive, we are able to only respond to those applicants whom we are interested in interviewing. No phone calls please. We are an equal opportunity employer.
NAKASEC has offices in Annandale and Los Angeles and local affiliates in Los Angeles (the Korean Resource Center) and Chicago (the Korean American Resource and Cultural Center) and works in partnership with community based organizations across the nation. Visit www.nakasec.org and/or our Facebook page for more information.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.