For nearly three weeks now, Dae Joong Yoon, Executive Director of NAKASEC (along with Eliseo Medina, SEIU and Cristian Avila, Mi Familia Vota) has fasted as part of the Fast For Families campaign. Their stomachs are empty, but their hearts are filled with hope because of the support they have received from everyday people who have sent messages, signed the petition, and fasted in solidarity. Together, we can show our support for immigration reform and the fasters. On December 2ndand 3rd, sign up to Act, Fast and Pray. Sign up to fast here.
1. Organize a solidarity fast with a group or fast individually. Coordinate with your coalition, faith and business leaders. Share stories, prayers, and chants in support of immigration reform. Recruit people to participate individually from their homes to fast in solidarity with the fasters in Washington, DC. Take a photo of yourself with a sign in support of immigration reform and share it through Facebook and Twitter.
- Update your status and post photos. For example: “I have made a decision to fast for ___ hours/days for immigration reform. My voluntary fast represents the urgency, the passion and sacrifice of a community of all creeds, race, gender, affiliation and status, who share the belief that immigration reform must happen now. If you are with me, sign this petition to Speaker John Boehner to hold a vote on immigration reform. Stay strong Dae Joong, Eliseo, and Cristian. We’re with you!http://www.onlineactions.org/page/s/support-our-fast-for-immigration-reform”
- Share NAKASEC’s Facebook posts:https://www.facebook.com/nakasec
- Post your action and photos using @nakasec, #fast4families, #timeisnow, #CIR. For example, “Fasting today with #fast4families and DJ @NAKASEC to show @SpeakerBoehner that we want #CIR. #timeisnow.”
- Retweet @nakasec posts.
2. Organize a prayer vigil: In front of your member of Congress’ Washington office or district office. Recruit faith leaders, businesses, and other community allies to attend.
3. Send letters of support: Address letters to “Fast for Families” and send to Emily Kessel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Sign the petition: http://www.onlineactions.org/page/s/support-our-fast-for-immigration-reform?
5. Send delegations from your states to Washington, DC to: a) Visit fasters, b) Talk to Members of Congress, c) Fast with the DC fasters for a day, or d) Hold a prayer vigil in front of the Capitol Hill office of your Member of Congress. If you can arrange for faith leaders in your state to accompany your delegation, that would be very powerful.
Questions? Please contact:
Dong Yoon Kim (email@example.com) for actions and requests for other campaign materials, such as sample prayers and press releases.
Emily Kessel (firstname.lastname@example.org) to send your letters of support and photos.