Job Posting – download PDF
The National Korean American Service & Education Consortium (NAKASEC) seeks a hard-working, highly-skilled, talented, and committed individual to serve as the Program Associate (Civic Engagement Program) to coordinate projects related to community organizing, civic engagement and voter empowerment in its Washington D.C. office.
NAKASEC is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans within the social justice movement. NAKASEC has offices in Los Angeles and Washington, DC. NAKASEC has affiliates in Los Angeles (The Korean Resource Center) and in Chicago (The Korean American Resource & Cultural Center) and works in partnership with local community based organizations across the nation. Major program areas: Civic Engagement (Redistricting, Elections and Census), Civil Rights (LGBTQ, Hate Crimes, Language Access, Voting Rights), Financial Empowerment, Immigrant Rights (Immigration Reform, Immigrant Integration, and Enforcement), Youth Organizing, and Technical Assistance.
- Coordinate a national, non-partisan civic engagement campaign including voter education and research as well as supporting local efforts in voter mobilization and assistance.
- Advocate for policies and measures to protect voting rights and increase access and participation of minority, new, minority, and Limited English Proficient voters.
- Represent NAKASEC at constituent and coalition partner meetings, events, and conferences. Develop and maintain strong relationships with key national and local groups.
- Oversee and manage the NAKASEC internship program including recruiting, training and creating a network.
- Develop learning projects to build youth leadership and awareness.
- Develop core curriculum on grassroots organizing, movement building and the Korean American/Asian American & Pacific Islander progressive community for training purposes.
- Work with executive director to develop the NAKASEC organizational membership program. Strengthen and systematize NAKASEC volunteer component.
- Speak on behalf of NAKASEC at conferences and events. Help coordinate relevant media activities.
- Provide ongoing technical assistance and program support to NAKASEC affiliates and partners.
- Work with NAKASEC staff as a team to create a strategic plan for developing new programs and building organizational capacity that will advance the organization’s mission and objectives.
- Produce and maintain relevant work & grant reports and other documentation.
Bachelor’s degree and 2 or more years experience working on Korean American, Asian American & Pacific Islander, or immigrant civic engagement initiatives. Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills. Strong research and analytical capacity. Ability to work independently, meet deadlines, think creatively, and prioritize multiple tasks. Ability to work collaboratively in local-national partnerships or with multi-ethnic or multi-sector communities. Some experience in working with ethnic and/or mainstream media desirable. Experience in community organizing and electoral campaigns an asset. This position requires occasional travel and ability to work some weekends.
NAKASEC offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and full health, dental, and vision insurance.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and salary history and requirement to Yeon-Ok Suh, NAKASEC, 1628 16th Street, Suite 306, Washington D.C. 20009 or via email at email@example.com. For more information, please visit our website at www.nakasec.org.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage women and minorities to apply.
Closing date: April 29, 2011