On Tuesday afternoon, September 21, the United States Senate faces an important vote to move the DREAM Act towards passage this year. Can you help them stand with immigrants?
Why is it so urgent for me to call on Tuesday morning?
- There is likely to be less than 1 week to make sure DREAM Act passes this year. Tuesday is a key vote to allow the Senate to consider DREAM as an amendment to the annual military spending bill. With 60 votes, DREAM can then be considered as an amendment.
What’s going on?
- Immigration reform or DREAM Act should not be a partisan issue as it impacts people in all states. We hope that all Senators will step up, Democrats and Republicans alike. Leaders from the Congressional Hispanic Caucus recently announced a three-prong legislative strategy for immigration reform in the fall, which is to 1) push for passage of the DREAM Act, 2) introduce a new comprehensive immigration bill in the Senate and 3) press the White House to provide administrative relief.
- There is a sense of urgency. If DREAM Act is successfully voted on as an amendment to the annual military spending bill, the Senate must vote again to pass the bill before DREAM Act can become law.
Stand With Immigrant Children and Young People to Gain Access to Higher Education for All. Recently there has been a surge of activism across the country for the DREAM Act. There are 1.7 million undocumented immigrants under the age of 18 nationally. Every year, 65,000, undocumented students graduate from high school unable to realize their potential and fully participate in American society. Ethnicities of undocumented students are quite diverse. Many came to the US as children from various parts of the world. In fact, about 15% of Korean Americans are undocumented. In California, we have AB540 that helps students access in state tuition regardless of status. About 25% (one quarter) of all AB540 students are Korean American – more than any other Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) group.
At different moments in history, we have seen, especially in economic downturns, politicians demonize people such as immigrants as scapegoats. We have to recognize that this is a win-win for America. We hope that fairness and reason will prevail over emotional and political opportunism.
Make Your Voice Heard. Your participation is one step toward building a just and humane America.
Nationwide Targets: Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R- KY). In Illinois, we are also targeting Rep. Mark Kirk (R – 10th District).
What To Do:
- If your Senator is not listed above, call Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) toll-free at 866-877-5944.
- If your Senator is listed above, or to share your support for DREAM Act with those Senators, call 866-996-5161 to reach the Capitol Switchboard.
- To reach Rep. Kirk’s DC Office, call 202-225-4835.
I’m calling from (your city and state), to make sure that Senate Minority Leader McConnell / (Your Senator) knows that we need his support for the DREAM Act to pass this year.[Listen to response] Will the Senator vote to pass the DREAM Act this year?
Let us know you called. Leave a comment on our page, tweet or “Like” our Facebook statuses about DREAM!
Like the pictures below? Take one and pass it along! We encourage people to use it as your profile picture on Facebook and other social networking sites you may have!
Suggested photo caption (copy & paste):
DREAM Act faces an important vote on Sept. 21. Call Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) toll-free at 866-877-5944 and tell him to support to DREAM Act. Visit http://ow.ly/2Giq4 to find out who else you can call.
[Click on picture for original size]