Woori Juntos Community Organizer
Location: Houston, TX
Salary Range: $40,000-$45,000
Woori Juntos is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded by local community members to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Asian Americans and all Texans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Asian Americans and all Texans to achieve social, economic and racial justice.
Woori Juntos’s Community Organizer will be a key member of a local-national team that determines, develops and implements multi-pronged education, advocacy, and organizing projects to advance progressive systemic change that benefits marginalized communities. With the goal of building a strong, informed and active Asian American leadership at local and national levels, responsibilities include:
- Co-develop and lead the strategy of Immigrant Justice Project campaigns
- Co-develop and lead year-round integrated civic engagement programs and strategies
- Conduct and coordinate community organizing strategies including door knocking, phone banking, and outreach at community events
- Build strong relationships with community institutions and engage them in Woori Juntos institutional outreach (small businesses, markets, educational and religious institutions)
- Ensure Woori Juntos’s campaigns are informed by community members
- Produce campaign materials and toolkits including talking points, flyers and other educational materials
- Recruit, train, build relationships with and develop the leadership of community members particularly those most impacted by social, racial and economic oppression
- Recruit new members and volunteers to Woori Juntos
- Assist with fundraising for organizing campaigns
- Participate in, develop and lead coalition efforts with Woori Juntos’s national and local partners for its current campaigns and programs.
- Develop and grow relationships with new and non-traditional partners.
- Represent Woori Juntos at conferences, meetings and events as needed.
Other Duties as Assigned
Experience & Skills Needed:
- Strong vision of community empowerment and deep commitment to change the world with marginalized communities.
- At least 1 year of experience in an organizing role.
- Willingness to be a bold, out-of-the-box and creative thinker.
- Enjoys both listening to and sharing ideas and opinions.
- Willingness to propose and think about new ideas and concepts.
- Ready to resist racism, patriarchy, homophobia, classism and ableism.
- Believes that marginalized community members can and should lead organizing and advocacy campaigns.
- Believes that collective groups can be more powerful than individuals.
- Experience organizing Asian Americans towards social, racial and economic justice issues.
- Strong understanding of issues facing the Asian American community and other marginalized communities including people of color, women, and LGBTQ community members.
- Excited about individual, organizational and societal transformation.
- Ability to work well in and build a team and is committed to modeling the world we want to see inside the organization and its campaigns and programs.
- Ability to work well in and build coalitions.
- Ability to travel.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Bilingual in English and an Asian language is preferred.
The Woori Juntos Community Organizer reports to the Woori Juntos Executive Director. Woori Juntos offers a salary commensurate with experience and full health, dental, and vision insurance.
Woori Juntos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply: Submit a cover letter, resume and three references by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please include the name, title and contact information (especially phone number) for references.
Deadline: Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.