POSITION AVAILABLE: POLICY MANAGER
The National Korean American Service & Education Consortium (NAKASEC) is a dynamic national organization working to empower the Korean American community through education, advocacy and organizing. The national office is located in Los Angeles, CA and works with affiliates in Los Angeles and Chicago. A D.C. Office was opened in Sept. 2008.
NAKASEC seeks a hard-working, talented, and committed individual to serve as the Policy Manager. This is a position for an individual who has experience in immigrant rights and/or community organizing and wants to continue an active and high level of involvement with immigration issues and policies, grassroots organizing and advocacy, and strategic planning. The United States is in the midst of radically changing its immigration laws; this is an opportunity to be an active part of this historic movement.
Major Responsibilities Include:
- Serve as the lead for planning and implementing field activities and support policy advocacy activities related to NAKASEC’s Immigrant Rights Project efforts.
- Be a part of a team that develops grassroots mobilizing campaigns that includes components of organizing, communications, and education.
- Keep abreast of all current political issues and proposals related to immigration reform, and communicate NAKASEC’s position to constituents and legislators to obtain their support, as well as inform and advise NAKASEC and affiliates related to immigration reform and immigrant rights.
- Develop awareness of and ensure NAKASEC responds appropriately to current policies and issues affecting minority and disadvantaged communities through research, analysis, and consultation with relevant stakeholders.
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with relevant immigrant rights coalitions nationally and locally.
- Develop issue-relevant publications for the community and stakeholders.
- Speak on behalf of NAKASEC at conferences and events.
- Work with the NAKASEC staff and the centers on media outreach.
- Coordinate and oversee certain fundraising activities related to the project including grant reports and fundraisers.
- Provide technical assistance & program support to NAKASEC affiliates.
- Provide ongoing support to the Executive Director in all facets of the work.
Required Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree and 3 or more years experience working on Korean American, Asian American and Pacific Islander, or immigrant community issues and/or civic participation initiatives. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to work independently, think creatively and prioritize multiple tasks. Demonstrated track record of working collaboratively in local-national partnerships and/or with multi-ethnic or multi-sector communities.
Desired Qualifications: Experience in community organizing, policy advocacy and research strongly preferred. Experience developing campaigns and strategic planning an asset. Fluency in the Korean language preferred, but not required.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and salary history and requirement to Jeong Yeon Hong, Director of Community Education & Administration, NAKASEC, 900 S. Crenshaw Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90019 or via email at email@example.com. NAKASEC offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and full health & dental benefits.
NAKASEC is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage women and minorities to apply.
For more information: please visit our website at www.nakasec.org. No phone calls, please.