ABOUT NAKASEC VA
NAKASEC (National Korean American Service & Education Consortium) is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice. Local affiliates include NAKASEC Virginia, HANA Center in Illinois, Woori Center in Pennsylvania, and MinKwon Center for Community Action in New York. The Virginia chapter was established in 2012, and current programs include Community Organizing, Civic Engagement, Community Services, and Leadership Development.
NAKASEC Virginia organizes Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. Through community organizing, public policy advocacy, civic engagement, and youth leadership development, NAKASEC VA works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change.
The Growth & Operations Team Lead will primarily be responsible for providing leadership of NAKASEC VA development work, with a special focus on individual giving and ensuring that staff, volunteers, and interns have the resources, materials, and logistical processes they need to do their job and tasks effectively (including onboarding).
- Leading a team to design and execute the annual fundraiser event (in the spring / early summer)
- Designing and executing membership drives and other types of giving campaigns
- Ensuring that fundraising elements of NAKASEC VA’s internal database is maintained, updated, and working properly. Communicating needs to repair and/or modify with NAKASEC VA’s IT consultant and NAKASEC National’s Finance Director
- Ensuring timely acknowledgments of donations from supporters and members (thank you letters, membership gifts)
- Working with the Director to pursue individual fundraising opportunities
- Saving development-related documentation to SharePoint, including grant award letters, proposals, LOIs, etc.
- Building out the NAKASEC VA membership program, including but not limited to creating swag, sending appreciations, integrating with other programming and improving promotion
- Integrating supporters into NAKASEC VA programs and campaigns
- Volunteer Management
- Creating and posting volunteer opportunities, like on VolunteerMatch and/or Catchafire
- Following up with volunteer applications and prospective volunteers
- Tracking volunteer engagement
- Developing and updating volunteer orientation guide
- Organizing occasional appreciation moments for NAKASEC VA volunteers
- Managing clean, well-organized, and well-provisioned offices where all staff are set up for success (ex: order and track supplies and equipment) and provide documentation
- Coordinating and identifying shared office space needs (Annandale is a shared office space with another organization)
- Maintaining relationship with building management and all external office vendors/services providers, including IT, cleaning, maintenance, lease management, language access vendors (translators, interpreters), graphic designers and ensuring timely payment to vendors (manage incoming and outgoing invoices)
- Remaining on budget by always seeking the best prices for supplies and services
- Developing, recommending, and updating internal protocols and processes to ensure smooth operation of internal administrative functions, which includes hiring/onboarding staff and volunteers
- Depositing and recording checks and cash received
- Working directly with NAKASEC national Finance and Operations Director on office management issues.
Internal Wellness (10%)
- Coordinating staff bonding and wellness activities
- Attend weekly staff meetings and team lead meetings
- Participate in year-round organizing and civic engagement campaigns with rest of NAKASEC VA team
- Carefully track time and communications to ensure appropriate assignment to c3 or c4, direct and grassroots lobbying, and electioneering
- Being a thought partner to Director and other team leads on new programming/campaigns
- Other duties as assigned
KEY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Mission alignment: Commitment to social, economic and racial justice. A belief in community’s ability to support each other, organize and achieve desired goals together.
- Development experience (1 year minimum) – proven track record of raising money, with a focus on individual giving
- Goal and deadlines oriented
- Can take a big project and break it down into manageable chunks
- Thinks well on their feet and enjoys problem solving
- Proposes next steps and solutions, before asking others
- Relationship oriented: confident and skilled in making new conversations and relationships across different experiences
- Strong writer and verbal communicator
- Comfortable with listening for other people’s needs, while maintaining one’s own boundaries
- Comfortable with database navigation and technology, including training others
- Desire learning and open to experimentation
- Live in Northern Virginia
- Driver’s license and access to car
- Plus: 1+ year of operations experience, bilingual in an Asian language
Location: Annandale, VA
Job Type: full-time
Reports to: Director
Salary & Benefits: $50K (negotiable; commensurate with experience). Full health, dental, and vision insurance. There is also paid time off, vacation, sick days (if you, a partner, a family member are sick), and other leave time customized to your unique circumstances. We close between December 25 and January 1 to recognize end-of-year stress and time for reflection and rejuvenation.
TO APPLY APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED. Email your resume to email@example.com with the subject “Growth & Operations Team Lead” by 11:59 PM, August 18, 2021. Supplementary: submit up to two paragraphs as to why this position interests you.
NAKASEC VA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, women, LGBTQ+ candidates, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.