ABOUT NAKASEC VA
NAKASEC (National Korean American Service & Education Consortium) is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice. Local affiliates include NAKASEC Virginia, HANA Center in Illinois, Woori Center in Pennsylvania, and MinKwon Center for Community Action in New York. The Virginia chapter was established in 2012, and current programs include Community Organizing, Civic Engagement, Community Services, and Leadership Development.
NAKASEC Virginia organizes Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. Through community organizing, public policy advocacy, civic engagement, and youth leadership development, NAKASEC VA works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change.
The Community Outreach Specialist will primarily be responsible for connecting community members to NAKASEC VA by building and maintaining community relationships, promoting NAKASEC VA and our work to Asian American communities (with focus on Vietnamese American communities), and supporting program staff in their programmatic goals.
Outreach and Community Education (50%)
- Conduct direct outreach (small businesses, grocery stores, language schools, faith institutions, etc.) to promote organizational programs and services
- Identify and secure opportunities to represent NAKASEC Virginia at community events
- Identify and maintain community relationships (individuals, organizations, businesses, faith intuitions, etc.) in assigned Asian American communities
- Connect community members to appropriate program staff for initial conversations and follow-up after outreach events, engagement activities, and services inquiries
- Maintain appropriate records of outreach and engagement interactions
- Develop community education and outreach resources in Vietnamese as needed
- Communicate trends identified as a result of outreach and community education to appropriate staff
Service Provision (40%)
- Provide front-line community member support by giving general information and service provision (after training) through telephonic, email, and in-person communications. Services include assisting community members fill out and submit N-400 applications, DACA renewal applications, and/or public health benefit applications. This may require interpretation and translation.
- Refer internally to NAKASEC Virginia’s community services program and/or refer externally for needed services as needed
- Understand and promote NAKASEC Virginia membership
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Participate in year-round organizing, civic engagement, and fundraising campaigns with rest of NAKASEC VA team, including promoting and recruiting NAKASEC VA membership in the community
- Carefully track time and communications to ensure appropriate assignment to c3 or c4, direct and grassroots lobbying, and electioneering
- Provide data for reports as requested
- Other duties as assigned
KEY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Mission alignment: Commitment to social, economic and racial justice. A belief in community’s ability to support each other, organize and achieve desired goals together.
- Must be orally fluent in English and Vietnamese. Plus if can read/write Korean fluently.
- Strong and adaptable verbal communicator
- Relationship oriented: confident and skilled in making new conversations and relationships across different experiences
- Information management: can communicate relevant information and connect community members to staff appropriately
- Flexibility/adaptability with changing program priorities
- Proficient or adaptable with using and modifying digital tools and programs such as Google forms and Microsoft Word
- Live in Northern Virginia
- Driver’s license and access to car
- Plus: 1-2 years of community outreach or volunteer outreach experience
Location: Annandale, VA
Job Type: part-time (20 hrs/week)
Reports to: Health Navigator, as part of the Community Services and Outreach Team
Salary & Benefits: $22/hour, plus vacation and sick days. Our office is closed between December 25 and January 1 to recognize end-of-year stress and time for reflection and rejuvenation.
Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Community Outreach Specialist – Vietnamese” by 11:59 PM, July 13, 2021.
Supplementary: submit up to two paragraphs as to why this position interests you.
NAKASEC VA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, women, LGBTQ+ candidates, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.