ABOUT NAKASEC VA
NAKASEC is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice. NAKASEC maintains offices in Annandale and Centreville, Virginia, Chicago, Illinois and Los Angeles/Orange County, California. Our work in Virginia began in 2012, and current programs include Community Organizing, Civic Engagement, Community Services, and Leadership Development:
NAKASEC VA (National Korean American Service & Education Consortium – Virginia) organizes Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. Through community organizing, public policy advocacy, civic engagement, and youth leadership development, NAKASEC VA works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change.
NAKASEC VA is hiring a part-time Field Captain for our 2021 civic engagement campaign. The Field Captain will work with the Field Coordinator to oversee all canvass field activities, implement voter engagement campaigns to educate voters, promote voter turnout, and build base to advance policies towards social, economic, and racial justice in Virginia’s Korean and Asian American communities. Ideal candidates will be a highly organized, detail-oriented person who thrives on connecting with others. This position will report to the NAKASEC VA Field Coordinator.
- Oversee all canvass field activities including training, shadowing, daily meetings, field supervision, and motivating a team of part time canvassers and volunteers.
- Monitor and coach each team member to ensure they are following proper procedures, scripts, and guidelines while in the field.
- Coordinate canvassing shifts, distribute materials & necessary PPE to canvassers before their shifts, and ensure strict adherence to the required COVID-19 protocols.
- Drive the execution of our field program through continual leadership training, performance management, and process improvement.
- Support the Field Coordinator in managing voter engagement campaigns (e.g. open canvassing, literature drops, relational organizing, etc).
- Lead on data entry using VAN (e.g. committing MiniVAN data after each canvassing shift, updating contact information, etc).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Mission alignment: Commitment to social, economic and racial justice. A belief in the community’s ability to support each other, organize and achieve desired goals together.
- Coaching orientation: ability to work well with others; take the time to teach and offer useful and actionable feedback, make sure the people feel their efforts are appreciated and expect that people will make mistakes and see those as opportunities for learning.
- Project management skills: stays on top of multiple projects; plans backwards and anticipates obstacles; creates, tracks, and meets deadlines.
- Follow Through: self-motivated to stay on top of all specific tasks, follow-up items, and general areas of work; consistently meet deadlines.
- Flexibility: push work forward through obstacles and adapt quickly as things change.
- Meets deadlines: do routine and small tasks promptly; find a way to drive work forward.
- Ability to think strategically with strong attention to detail: ensure all external communication is appropriate for the given situation.
- Communication and relationship building: strong verbal communication skills; able to connect with individuals across diverse and marginalized populations; in the face of obstacles, being quick to offer solutions.
- Quick/enthusiastic learner: learn how to use and set up different platforms; open to learning and trying new experiences.
- Comfortable with numbers and technology.
- Ability to work on weekends and some evenings.
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Bilingual in English and an Asian language.
- Familiarity with these platforms: VAN, MiniVAN, OutVote, other civic engagement tools.
- Prior experience with campaign field work and team management.
Location: Annandale & Centreville, VA
Job Type: part-time (18 hours/week)
Duration: March 1, 2021 – June 11, 2021
TO APPLY APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED.
Email your resume and an optional cover letter to Ha Nguyen (email@example.com) by 11:59 PM on February 21, 2021. Please write in the subject line “NAKASEC VA Field Captain” and indicate what campaign/civic engagement platforms you are familiar with.
NAKASEC VA is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, LGBTQ+ candidates, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.