NAKASEC Community Organizer
Location: Chicago, IL or Washington DC area
Salary Range: $40,000-$43,000
NAKASEC is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice.
NAKASEC’s Community Organizer will be a key member of a local-national team that determines, develops and implements multi-pronged education, advocacy, and organizing projects to advance progressive systemic change that benefits marginalized communities. With the goal of building a strong, informed and active Asian American leadership at local and national levels, responsibilities include:
- Develop and lead the strategy of Immigrant Justice Project campaigns • Conduct and coordinate community organizing strategies including door knocking, phone banking, and outreach at community events
- Build strong relationships with community institutions and engage them in NAKASEC institutional outreach (small businesses, markets, educational and religious institutions) • Coordinate the participation and co-leadership of the NAKASEC network o Convene and facilitate Immigrant Justice Project regular meetings of the NAKASEC network
o Ensure NAKASEC’s campaigns are informed by community members • Produce campaign materials and toolkits including talking points, flyers and other educational materials
- Recruit, train, build relationships with and develop the leadership of community members particularly those most impacted by social, racial and economic oppression • Recruit new members to NAKASEC
- Assist with fundraising for organizing campaigns
- Regularly monitor and analyze public policy developments related to NAKASEC’s priorities to inform campaign strategy
- Participate in weekly FIRM network calls
- Participate in, develop and lead coalition efforts with NAKASEC’s national and local partners for its current campaigns and programs.
- Lead the convening of the AAPI Immigrant Rights Organizing Table
- Develop and grow relationships with new and non-traditional partners. • Represent NAKASEC at conferences, meetings and events as needed.
Other Duties as Assigned
Experience & Skills Needed:
- Strong vision of community empowerment and deep commitment to change the world with marginalized communities.
- At least 1 year of experience in an organizing role.
- Willingness to be a bold, out-of-the-box and creative thinker.
- Enjoys both listening to and sharing ideas and opinions.
- Willingness to propose and think about new ideas and concepts.
- Ready to resist racism, patriarchy, homophobia, classism and ableism. • Believes that marginalized community members can and should lead organizing and advocacy campaigns.
- Believes that collective groups can be more powerful than individuals. • Experience organizing Asian Americans towards social, racial and economic justice issues.
- Strong understanding of issues facing the Asian American community and other marginalized communities including people of color, women, and LGBTQ community members.
- Excited about individual, organizational and societal transformation.
- Ability to work well in and build a team and is committed to modeling the world we want to see inside the organization and its campaigns and programs.
- Ability to work well in and build coalitions.
- Ability to travel.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Bilingual in English and an Asian language is preferred.
The NAKASEC Community Organizer reports to the NAKASEC Organizing Director. NAKASEC offers a salary commensurate with experience and full health, dental, and vision insurance.
NAKASEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample to:
Deadline: March 1, 2021