ABOUT NAKASEC VA
NAKASEC (National Korean American Service & Education Consortium) is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice. NAKASEC maintains offices in Annandale and Centreville, VA, Chicago, IL, Los Angeles/Orange County, CA, and Montgomery County, PA. Our work in Virginia began in 2012, and current programs include Community Organizing, Civic Engagement, Community Services, and Leadership Development:
NAKASEC VA organizes Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. Through community organizing, public policy advocacy, civic engagement, and youth leadership development, NAKASEC VA works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change.
The Immigrant Justice Community Organizer will work with the other organizers and D.C. Area Director to develop and inspire community leadership and activism related to economic, racial, and social justice; build partnerships; and design and implement immigrant justice organizing campaigns.
- Run and win campaigns to move a pro-immigrant, pro-AAPI, and pro-worker agenda at the local and state levels. Coordinate with NAKASEC national to move inclusive policies at the federal level.
- Develop and implement outreach strategies to recruit, sustain and actively involve DACAmented and undocumented Asian Americans in Virginia in NAKASEC VA’s campaigns, including immigrant justice and health care access.
- Build a committee with members to exercise leadership, grow, learn, and lead organizing and civic engagement campaigns.
- Mobilize and prepare community members to organize and/or participate in actions, legislative meetings, and other activities.
- Plan, coordinate, and facilitate regular workshops, political education sessions, and other gatherings (virtual and when safe, in-person).
- Engage AAPI organizations across the state.
- Represent NAKASEC VA at meetings, forums, and public speaking engagements.
- Stay informed of key immigrant justice issues affecting AAPIs and immigrants in Northern Virginia.
- Develop community education resources in Korean as needed.
- Track and implement base building and leadership development goals.
- Provide information for grant submission and reporting as needed.
- Build and maintain relationships with other immigrant justice community organizations in Virginia.
Service Provision (10%)
- Provide support with immigration related applications.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Participate in year-round organizing, civic engagement, and fundraising campaigns with rest of NAKASEC VA team, including promoting and recruiting NAKASEC VA membership in the community.
- Other duties as assigned.
KEY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Mission alignment: Commitment to social, economic and racial justice. A belief in community’s ability to support each other, organize and achieve desired goals together.
- Bilingual in English and Korean (spoken). Plus if can read/write Korean fluently.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Experience building relationships with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Open to learning and trying new experiences.
- Ability to work well with others or in a team.
- Ability to analyze, synthesize, and communicate different kinds of information so that it is useful to people with various learning styles, backgrounds, and life experiences.
- Knowledge of the issues affecting low-income or communities in Northern Virginia and of the Northern Virginia and statewide political landscape a plus.
- Self-motivated and able to develop and move projects forward.
- Create, track and meet deadlines, as well as organizing workplans.
- Willing to work some weekends and evenings.
- Plus: 1-2 years of community organizing experience with tangible results.
- Driver’s license and access to car.
Location: Annandale, VA
Job Type: full-time
Salary & Benefits: $40K (negotiable), commensurate with experience and full health, dental, and vision insurance
TO APPLY APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED.
Email your resume and salary expectations to email@example.com with the subject “Immigrant Justice Community Organizer” by 11:59 PM, August 5, 2020.
Supplementary: submit up to two paragraphs as to why this position interests you.
NAKASEC VA is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, LGBTQ+ candidates, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.