ABOUT NAKASEC VA
NAKASEC is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice. NAKASEC maintains offices in Annandale and Centreville, Virginia, Chicago, Illinois and Los Angeles/Orange County, California. Our work in Virginia began in 2012, and current programs include Community Organizing, Civic Engagement, Community Services, and Leadership Development:
NAKASEC VA (National Korean American Service & Education Consortium – Virginia) organizes Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. Through community organizing, public policy advocacy, civic engagement, and youth leadership development, NAKASEC VA works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change.
The Field Coordinator will work with the Civic Engagement Manager to manage part-time canvassing staff and volunteers; create necessary educational materials; and implement voter engagement campaigns to educate voters, promote voter turnout, and build base to advance policies towards social, economic, and racial justice in Virginia’s Korean and Asian American communities.
Civic Engagement and Organizing (60%)
- Recruit, train, and manage part-time canvassing staff, as well as occasional volunteers
- Build a culture of accountability and have difficult/corrective conversations with staff and volunteers
- Train volunteers and staff on engagement tactics and technology
- Manage voter engagement campaigns (e.g. phone banking, texting, canvassing, literature drops, relational organizing, etc)
- Collaborate with designers and printers to create relevant printed civic engagement materials (e.g. mailers, door hangers, sticky notes, leave behinds, etc)
- Create shareable graphics for social media and messaging (with translators)
- Develop a multilingual GOTV video featuring Asian American Virginia voters
- Do canvassing/literature drops
Data Entry & Reporting (20%)
- Lead on data entry using VAN (e.g. pledge cards, updating contact information, etc)
- Assist with reporting as needed
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Participate in year-round organizing, civic engagement, and fundraising campaigns with
rest of NAKASEC VA team
- Other duties as assigned
KEY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Mission alignment: Commitment to social, economic and racial justice. A belief in the community’s ability to support each other, organize and achieve desired goals together.
- Project management skills: stays on top of multiple projects; plans backwards and anticipates obstacles; identifies and involves stakeholders; create, track, and meet deadlines; organize work plans
- Follow Through: self-motivated to stay on top of all specific tasks, follow-up items, and general areas of work; consistently meet deadlines
- Flexibility: push work forward through obstacles and adapt quickly as things change
- Meets deadlines: do routine and small tasks promptly; find a way to drive work forward
- Attention to detail: ensure all external communication is polished and precise and appropriate for the given situation
- Coaching orientation: ability to work well with others or in a team; take the time to teach and offer useful and actionable feedback, make sure the people feel their efforts are appreciated and expect that people will make mistakes and see those as opportunities for learning
- Communication and relationship building: strong verbal communication skills; able to connect with individuals across diverse and marginalized populations; in the face of obstacles, being quick to offer solutions
- Quick/enthusiastic learner: learn how to use and set up different platforms; open to learning and trying new experiences
- Comfortable with numbers and technology
- Willing to work some weekends and evenings
- Driver’s license and access to car
- Bilingual in English and an Asian language
- Familiarity with these platforms: VAN, MiniVAN, Hustle, ThruTalk, ThruText, OutVote, other civic engagement tools
- Prior experience with campaign field work
Location: Annandale, VA and Centreville, VA
Job Type: part-time (15 hours/week)
Duration: until mid-November 2020
Email your resume and/or an optional cover letter to email@example.com with the subject “NAKASEC VA Field Coordinator” by 5 PM, June 29, 2020. Please indicate on your resume and/or an optional cover letter what campaign/civic engagement platforms you are familiar with.
This job position has been filled.
NAKASEC VA is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, LGBTQ+ candidates, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.