NAKASEC Virginia Civic Engagement Coordinator
Based in Annandale, VA
(As of July 3, 2018)
NAKASEC is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice.
NAKASEC maintains offices in Annandale, Virginia, Chicago, Illinois and Los Angeles/Orange County, California. Its work in Virginia began in 2012, and current programs include Immigrant Rights, Civic Engagement, and Youth Leadership Development.
NAKASEC VA’s Civic Engagement Coordinator will be a key member of a team that develops and implements year-round multi-pronged education, advocacy, civic engagement and organizing projects to advance policies towards social, economic and racial justice. With the goals of building a strong, informed and active Korean American leadership and base in Northern Virginia and to win policies that uplift our communities. Responsibilities include, but are not limited, to:
- Implement direct voter contact programs, which include door knocking, phone banking, texting, mailings, voter registration, voter education, and other forms of outreach.
- Co-manage the field team – a team of paid canvassers and volunteers – with D.C. Area Director to run integrated civic engagement campaigns in multiple neighborhoods.
- Maintain field canvass calendar, schedule and supervise shifts.
- Lead field team efforts to identify community members who support NAKASEC’s mission and programs.
- Recruit, train, and develop volunteer leadership to build Korean and Asian American community power.
- Ensure quality control and data integrity of the voter engagement program.
- Coordinate the operation of the Voter Hotline.
- Represent NAKASEC in relevant coalitions.
- Organize workshops around issues of concern to Korean and Asian American communities.
- Identify new partnerships and engagement strategies where appropriate.
- Create relevant public educational materials.
- Public speaking at conferences and events as needed.
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with relevant community leaders, community-based organizations and coalitions to enhance NAKASEC VA activities and campaigns.
- Assist with fundraising opportunities to support NAKASEC VA and provide information about the program for grant submission and reporting as needed.
- Work with, collaborate and coordinate with NAKASEC VA’s national organization, NAKASEC, on activities and campaigns.
- Other duties as assigned.
Key Qualification Criteria:
- Commitment to immigrant rights and social, economic and racial justice.
- A belief in community’s ability to support each other, organize and achieve desired goals together.
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Ability to take initiative.
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Experience with training and motivating staff and volunteers.
- Experience meeting deadlines.
- Ability to think creatively, prioritize multiple projects, and commitment to learning.
- Ability to think independently.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Pluses: Experience working on Korean American, Asian American, immigrant community issues and/or social, economic and racial justice issue; experience working with community members through service, education, organizing and/or advocacy is a plus; and demonstrated track record of working collaboratively in local partnerships and/or with multi-ethnic or multi-sector communities.
- A valid driver’s license, car and car insurance.
- Bilingual in the Korean and English languages an asset.
- Residence in Northern Virginia preferred.
The NAKASEC VA Civic Engagement Coordinator reports to the NAKASEC DC Area Director. NAKASEC offers a salary commensurate with experience and full health, dental, and vision insurance.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and salary history and expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write subject heading “NAKASEC VA Civic Engagement Coordinator.”
For more information, please visit our website at www.nakasec.org.
NAKASEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.