THIS APPLICATION IS CLOSED AND IS NO LONGER ACCEPTING NEW APPLICATIONS
NAKASEC Digital Organizer
Location: Chicago, IL or Washington DC area
Salary Range: $50,000 – $60,000
Founded by local community-based organizations in 1994, NAKASEC’s mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, racial and economic justice. NAKASEC is a network of affiliates and partners. Through political education, community organizing, direct action, public policy advocacy and civic participation, the NAKASEC network ensures that our most marginalized community members can impact progressive change, rooted in our values.
NAKASEC is a leading Asian American organization advocating for progressive systemic change at the local, state and federal levels. We see communications as a critical component of organizing, and are seeking a Digital Organizer who can create and deliver visual content across digital platforms for our multi-generation community, provide accessible political education, and expand our base by building our online following. The Digital Organizer will report to NAKASEC’s Communications Director.
Online Community Building and Management
- Identify and act on opportunities digitally to grow NAKASEC’s membership across digital platforms including email, text and social media.
- Create and manage digital campaigns and online organizing opportunities that advance NAKASEC’s mission.
- Support development and execution of virtual programming: including webinars, Facebook lives, online meetings and others of 2-100 people.
- Manage and execute on NAKASEC’s digital tools including email, SMS broadcast, peer-to-peer texting, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Digital Content Development
- Develop compelling and timely written and visual content (including graphics and videos) that may be multilingual (involves coordinating with translators) to amplify organizing, electoral, and fundraising work on social media, email, text, and other digital platforms.
- Write/design and disseminate emails and action alerts, and coordinate translation when appropriate.
- Develop messaging and scripts to accompany organizing/fundraising campaigns and use and maintain ThruText to target and text supporters/activists while providing appropriate follow up.
- Maintain and build upon NAKASEC website and associated forms with updates about NAKASEC and online petitions/campaigns. Ensure ease of navigation, message consistency and clarity, relevance, and engagement opportunities for visitors.
- Evaluating outcomes of digital communications and adapt messaging/outreach based on findings.
- Respond to relevant queries on NAKASEC’s Online Platforms.
Data Collection and Reporting
- Archive and tag all photo and video content across programs and campaigns
- Track Media hits
- Create, update and export data across communication tools
- Track technology trends and apply needed upgrades and innovations to ensure platforms and campaigns remain current
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Work and collaborate with NAKASEC’s fundraising, communications, organizing teams, affiliates and coalition partners.
- Participate in year-round organizing, civic engagement, and fundraising campaigns with rest of NAKASEC team.
- Other duties as assigned
Experience & Skills Needed:
- Strong vision of community empowerment and deep commitment to change the world with marginalized communities.
- 1+ years experience in digital organizing.
- Experience with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and TikTok.
- Strong writing skills.
- Strong understanding of issues facing the Asian American community and other marginalized communities including people of color, women, and LGBTQ community members.
- Willingness to be a bold, out-of-the-box and creative thinker.
- Able to execute day-to-day tasks and work independently.
- Enjoys both listening to and sharing ideas and opinions.
- Ready to resist racism, patriarchy, homophobia, classism, ableism and other forms of structural and institutional oppression.
- Believes that collective groups can be more powerful than individuals.
- Ability to work well in and build a team. Committed to modeling the world we want to see inside the organization and its campaigns and programs.
- Ability to work well in and build coalitions.
- Ability to travel.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Bilingual in English and an Asian language preferred.
- Experience with WordPress and/or HTML preferred.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Health care and other benefits are included.
NAKASEC is an equal opportunity employer.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Friday, July 2, 2021