THIS APPLICATION IS CLOSED AND IS NO LONGER ACCEPTING NEW APPLICATIONS
NAKASEC Communications Director
Location: Chicago, IL or Washington DC area
Salary Range: $80,000-90,000
Founded by local community-based organizations in 1994, NAKASEC’s mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, racial and economic justice. NAKASEC is a network of affiliates and partners. Through political education, community organizing, direct action, public policy advocacy and civic participation, the NAKASEC network ensures that our most marginalized community members can impact progressive change, rooted in our values.
NAKASEC is a leading Asian American organization advocating for systemic change at the local, state and federal levels. We see communications as a critical component of organizing and narrative change. We are seeking a Communications Director who can build a more robust communications infrastructure that will ultimately expand our reach and base, deepen our community’s understanding of issues of importance to them, and build narratives that position our work to win. We need a staff member who can amplify our organizing, advocacy, and communications capacity nationally. We are on the search for a clever innovator, strategic thinker, creative storyteller, efficient researcher, messaging enthusiast, and strong, creative writer to join our team. The ideal candidate for this position is one who trusts and believes that the power to make change lies within communities and is ready to push our work to the next level. The Communications Director will report to NAKASEC’s Executive Director.
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Developing and implementing an annual Communications Plan with the goal of supporting NAKASEC’s broader strategies.
- Overseeing the growth of NAKASEC’s digital base including email lists, social media followings and other communication platforms.
- Leading Rapid Response Communications. Proactively monitoring, strategizing and implementing responses to current news events through NAKASEC’s social, racial and economic justice lens.
- Building narratives that advance positive frames of Asians and position our community and network to succeed.
- Developing, coordinating and implementing creative communications strategies that accompany NAKASEC’s organizing and advocacy campaigns. This includes overseeing and supporting the production of communications materials for NAKASEC campaigns including fliers, talking points, fact sheets, social media toolkits and other relevant materials.
- Developing and placing op-eds to further campaign strategy and narrative change.
- Participating and being a leader in relevant coalition formations.
- Leading the generation of online content that engages stakeholders and leads to measurable action.
- Providing speaker trainings for community leaders to prepare them for press interviews and speaking at meetings and events.
- Building relationships with key members of the press including ethnic media outlets and media monitoring and reporting.
- Manage development, distribution and maintenance of all print and electronic content including but not limited to monthly e-newsletters, brochures, annual report, and NAKASEC’s website.
- Track and measure the level of engagement from communications strategies over time.
Team Development & Management
- Hiring and managing staff to support communications strategies.
- Growing a communications team and manage staff.
Other duties as assigned
Experience & Skills Needed:
- Strong vision of community empowerment and deep commitment to change the world with marginalized communities.
- 5+ years experience in a communications role.
- Experience managing and executing across several communications media.
- Strong writing skills.
- Strong understanding of issues facing the Asian American community and other marginalized communities including people of color, women, and LGBTQ community members,
- Willingness to be a bold, out-of-the-box and creative thinker.
- Able to execute day-to-day tasks and work independently.
- Experience managing staff.
- Enjoys both listening to and sharing ideas and opinions.
- Ready to resist racism, patriarchy, homophobia, classism, ableism and other forms of structural and institutional oppression.
- Believes that collective groups can be more powerful than individuals.
- Ability to work well in and build a team and is committed to modeling the world we want to see inside the organization and its campaigns and programs.
- Ability to work well in and build coalitions.
- Ability to travel.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Bilingual in English and an Asian language preferred.
- Experience with WordPress and/or HTML preferred.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Health care and other benefits are included.
NAKASEC is an equal opportunity employer.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Friday, July 2, 2021