NAKASEC Virginia Community Organizer
NAKASEC is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice.
NAKASEC maintains offices in Los Angeles and Annandale, Virginia. NAKASEC has affiliates in Los Angeles (Korean Resource Center), in Chicago (Korean American Resource & Cultural Center) and a growing base in Annandale, Virginia (NAKASEC VA). Its work in Virginia began five years ago and current programs are centered around Immigrant Rights, Civic Engagement, and Parent and Youth Organizing. NAKASEC VA’s work is focused on the most vulnerable community members including low-income, recent immigrants, limited English proficient, undocumented, youth, women, and seniors.
NAKASEC VA’s Community Organizer will be a key member of a local-national team that determines, develops and implements multi-pronged education, advocacy, and organizing projects to advance policies towards social, economic and racial justice. With the goal of building a strong, informed and active Korean American leadership and base in Northern Virginia, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop, coordinate and implement community organizing campaigns on issues of importance to the Korean and Asian American community of Northern Virginia.
- Conduct and coordinate community outreach strategies including door knocking, phone banking and outreach at small businesses, markets, educational institutions, community events and religious institutions.
- Create, translate, publish and distribute relevant public educational materials.
- Recruit, train, and develop volunteers and community leaders.
- Coordinate and grow NAKASEC VA’s youth group of high school and college-aged young people.
- Work closely with NAKASEC VA’s parent organizer to coordinate activities and campaigns.
- Public speaking at conferences and events as needed.
- Assist with coordinating relevant media and publicity efforts.
- Work with, collaborate and coordinate with NAKASEC VA’s national organization, NAKASEC on activities and campaigns.
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with relevant community leaders, community-based organizations and coalitions to enhance NAKASEC VA activities and campaigns.
- Assist with fundraising opportunities to support NAKASEC VA and provide information about the program for grant submission and reporting as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Key Qualification Criteria
- Commitment to immigrant rights and social, economic and racial justice.
- A belief in community’s ability to organize and achieve desired goals together.
- Experience working on Korean American, Asian American, immigrant community issues and/or social, economic and racial justice issues.
- Demonstrated track record of working collaboratively in local partnerships and/or with multi-ethnic or multi-sector communities.
- Experience in working with community members through service, education, organizing and/or advocacy.
- Experience developing campaigns and strategic planning.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to take initiative.
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to think creatively, prioritize multiple projects, and commitment to learning.
- Ability to think independently.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- A valid driver’s license, car and car insurance.
- Bilingual in the Korean and English languages an asset.
- Residence in Northern Virginia preferred.
The NAKASEC VA Community Organizer reports to the NAKASEC DC Area Director. NAKASEC offers a salary commensurate with experience and full health, dental, and vision insurance.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and salary history and expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write subject heading “NAKASEC VA Community Organizer.”
NAKASEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.