Skip to main content
Immigrant RightsNationalResources

DACA Expansion Fact Sheet

By January 6, 2015No Comments


Download the PDF: English | 한국어

Deferred action is a kind of administrative relief from deportation that has been around for decades. Through deferred action, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) authorizes a non–U.S. citizen to remain in the U.S. temporarily. This individual may also apply for an employment authorization document (a work permit) for the period during which he or she has received deferred action.

Deferred action is granted on a case-by-case basis. Even if you meet the requirements outlined below, DHS will ultimately decide whether to grant you deferred action. Deferred action granted under the Deferred Action for Parental Accountability (DAPA) and the expanded Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program will be valid for three years and will be renewable.

Deferred action is temporary. However, the federal government will consider a deferred action recipient to be lawfully present in the U.S. for the length of time that the individual has deferred action status.

More information will be available approximately 90 days following the President’s November 20, 2014 announcement.

To be eligible for the expansion DACA program, you must:

  1. Regardless of your current age, have come to the U.S. before your sixteenth birthday.
  2. Have continuously lived in the U.S. since January 1, 2010.
  3. Have been present in the U.S. on November 20, 2014, and every day since then.
  4. Not have a lawful immigration status. To meet this requirement, (1) you must have entered the U.S. without papers, or, if you entered lawfully, your lawful immigration status must have expired before June 15, 2012; and (2) you must not have a lawful immigration status at the time you apply for expanded DACA.
  5. Have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or “be in school” on the date that you submit your application.
  6. Have not been convicted of certain criminal offenses. If you have a criminal offense, please check with an immigration advocate or licensed immigration attorney for additional information.

What evidence will I need to prepare for DACA?

  1. Two 2X2 passport pictures.
  2. $465 payable to the Department of Homeland Security.
  3. Proper forms of identification, such as passport or national identification card.
  4. Proof of entrance into the U.S. before age 16, such as an I-94 or stamp in passport. Or, bring proof that you were living in the U.S. before age 16 with school records.
  5. Proof of U.S. presence from January 1, 2010 until present.
  6. Proof that you graduated from high school, currently in school or enrolled GED program.

For more information, visit the following websites:,, or

  • For assistance in California, contact KRC in Los Angeles at 323-937-3718 or Orange County at 714-869-7624.
  • For assistance in Virginia, contact the NAKASEC Virginia office at 703-256-2208.
  • For assistance in Illinois, contact KRCC at 773-588-9158.