At any moment, the Department of Homeland Security will announce a second round of supposed reforms to the broken ‘Secure Communities’ program. Since its authorization in 2008, S-Comm has continued to be marked by disorganization, inconsistency and secrecy. When thousands of internal documents were released last year, it became clear that the Department of Homeland Security had misled Congress, local lawmakers and the American public about its intentions, and continues to do so today.
However it doesn’t appear that things will change with the release of these upcoming reforms. With the timing of the forthcoming announcement coming in advance of the release of the Office of Inspector General report on S-Comm, it appears that these ‘reforms’ are to take some of the pressure off of ICE before the report is released.
The bottom line is that S-Comm is too broken to be fixed. It continues to tear apart thousands of families and causes victims and witnesses of crimes to live in fear rather than contact the police. For this reason, this is why legislators, law enforcement and communities across the country have rejected the program and why we demand that the program be terminated rather than ‘reformed.’
Join us in urging the White House to ‘end, not mend’ S-Comm! Here is what you can do:
1. CALL: Take 3 minutes to send a clear message to the White House.
- Call 202-456-1111
Script: “My name is [insert name]. I am calling from [insert city, state]. I know that the Administration is announcing changes to the “Secure Communities” deportation program any day now. I want to ask the Administration to “end, not mend” this controversial program. S-Comm has damaged public safety, created fear in our communities, and deported thousands of our family members and friends. We urge the President to abandon his legacy of deportation and end the program immediately.”
2. SIGN THE PETITION: Click Here > END S-COMM, DON’T MEND IT!
3. TWEET : “Break ICE’s hold on our community! http://chn.ge/end-scomm Demand the @WhiteHouse to END #SComm, Don’t just mend it!”
4. SHARE IN FACEBOOK : Ask your friends to join us and advocates across the country!
- Download the “End, Not Mend S-Comm” poster here and make it your facebook profile.
5. SIGN THE PETITION: Click Here > END S-COMM, DON’T MEND IT!
- Background on S-Comm: http://altopolimigra.com/s-comm-shadow-report/
- Previous cosmetic “reforms” : http://uncoverthetruth.org/resources/docs-reports/briefing-guide-to-ices-minor-secure-communities-modifications/