Woori Juntos Communications Coordinator
Location: Houston, TX
Salary Range: $40,000-$45,000
Woori Juntos is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded by local community members to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Asian Americans and all Texans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Asian Americans and all Texans to achieve social, economic and racial justice. Woori Juntos is an affiliate of a national progressive Asian American network, NAKASEC.
We see communications as a critical component of organizing and are seeking a Communications Coordinator who can coordinate the building of robust communications that will ultimately expand our reach and base, and deepen our community’s understanding of issues of importance to them. The ideal candidate for this position is one who trusts and believes that the power to make change lies within communities and is ready to push our work to the next level. The primary responsibilities include:
- Work with the Executive Director to implement an annual communications plan with the goal of growing Woori Juntos’ base at the local and state level.
- Create and publish the content for press releases, publications such as e-newsletters, social media, and utilizing free media outlets.
- Generate content for Rapid Response Communications collaborating with key local, state, and national partners including Woori Juntos’ national organization, NAKASEC.
- Building relationships with mainstream and ethnic media outlets and media monitoring and reporting.
- Assist in regularly creating and updating content for Woori Juntos websites.
- Update databases and media lists.
- Track and measure the level of engagement and exposure from communications over time.
- Work with the Executive Director to determine other roles needed to build robust communications strategies to increase followers/subscribers/click counts of Woori Juntos media platforms.
- Research and recommend communication strategies and best practices
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience & Skills Needed:
- Believes that marginalized community members can and should lead organizing and advocacy campaigns.
- A strong vision of community empowerment and deep commitment to change the world with marginalized communities and ready to resist racism, patriarchy, homophobia, classism, and ableism.
- Ability to build a strong team and is committed to modeling the world we want to see inside the organization and its campaigns, programs, and communications.
- Ability to conduct a culturally specific approach in communications.
- Some years experience in a communications role. OR Experience in a communications role for Asian Americans towards social, racial, and economic justice issues.
- Experience managing and executing across multiple communications media.
- Strong writing skills.
- Willingness to be a bold, out-of-the-box, and creative thinker.
- Able to execute day-to-day tasks and work independently.
- Enjoys both listening to and sharing ideas and opinions.
- Believes that collective groups can be more powerful than individuals.
- Ability to travel.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Experience with WordPress and/or HTML preferred.
- Bilingual in English and Korean preferred.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Woori Juntos is an equal opportunity employer.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply: Submit the followings by email to: email@example.com
- Cover letter specifically referencing qualifications enumerated above
- A list of three references include the name, title and contact information (especially phone number)
Deadline: Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.