ABOUT NAKASEC VA
NAKASEC (National Korean American Service & Education Consortium) is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice. Local affiliates include NAKASEC Virginia, HANA Center in Illinois, Woori Center in Pennsylvania, and MinKwon Center for Community Action in New York. The Virginia chapter was established in 2012, and current programs include Community Organizing, Civic Engagement, Community Services, and Leadership Development.
NAKASEC Virginia organizes Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. Through community organizing, public policy advocacy, civic engagement, and youth leadership development, NAKASEC VA works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change.
The Redistricting & Voting Rights Coordinator will lead NAKASEC Virginia’s work on state/local redistricting, voter education, and voter protection. The Coordinator will use a variety of tools in their work, including community organizing, outreach, coalition engagement, communications, and analysis.
Community Education and Engagement (50%)
- Recruit and prepare Asian Americans to be actively engaged in state and local redistricting in Virginia
- Do direct community outreach (ex. tabling at community events, hotspot canvassing at supermarkets and business centers)
- Work with partners to develop programming (in-person, virtual, hybrid) to educate and engage Asian Americans in state and local redistricting processes
- Develop educational materials (print, digital for social media) about redistricting
- Work with translators to get social media posts and materials from other organizations translated into different Asian languages and get them to ethnic media and social media
- Promote redistricting and voting rights with traditional and ethnic media (including working with communications team to write op-eds, letters to the editors, press releases, etc. or organize/participate in press events)
- Work with Asian American and Pacific Islander community and civic groups throughout Virginia to set up and conduct community education presentations on redistricting and voting rights
- Work with Field Coordinator to get canvassers talking both about redistricting and upcoming elections
- Design and manage election protection / poll monitoring programs for November 2021 elections. Coordinate with partners. Recruit volunteers and staff. Make decisions on how to best use poll monitoring findings to leverage future opportunities.
Grassroots Advocacy (30%)
- Monitor state and local redistricting processes (particularly among Northern Virginia counties) and engage as needed with community members (for example – testifying)
- Represent NAKASEC Virginia at the Virginia Civic Engagement Table’s statewide redistricting coalition
- Monitor the state redistricting commission and engage with partner organizations to do shared advocacy and advance opportunities for coalition districts
- Monitor voting rights legislation in the 2022 General Assembly session and engage as needed with community members
- Provide information for grant submission and reporting as needed
- Attend weekly staff meetings and one-on-one supervision sessions
- Participate in year-round organizing, fundraising, and civic engagement campaigns with rest of NAKASEC VA team
- Carefully track time and communications to ensure appropriate assignment to c3 or c4, direct and grassroots lobbying, and electioneering
- Other duties as assigned
KEY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Mission alignment: Commitment to social, economic and racial justice. A belief in community’s ability to support each other, organize and achieve desired goals together.
- Ability to work well with others and in diverse coalitions
- Goal and deadlines-oriented
- Takes initiative / self-starter
- Can take a big project and break it down into manageable chunks (ex. applying project management skills to organize an event)
- Thinks well on their feet and enjoys problem solving
- Desire learning
- Can adapt to changing environment
- Live in northern (ideally) or central Virginia
- Driver’s license and access to car
- Plus: Can speak an Asian language
- Plus: Previous experience with civic engagement, including redistricting, voter protection, election administration, etc.
Location: Northern Virginia
Job Type: full-time (1-year contract)
Reports to: Civic Engagement Manager
Salary & Benefits: $43K (negotiable; commensurate with experience). Full health, dental, and vision insurance. There is also paid time off, vacation, sick days (if you, a partner, a family member are sick), and other leave time customized to your unique circumstances. We close between December 25 and January 1 to recognize end-of-year stress and time for reflection and rejuvenation.
TO APPLY APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED.
Email your resume to email@example.com with the subject “Redistricting & Voting Rights Coordinator” by 11:59 PM, August 18, 2021. Supplementary: submit up to two paragraphs as to why this position interests you.
NAKASEC VA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, women, LGBTQ+ candidates, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.