ABOUT NAKASEC VA
NAKASEC (National Korean American Service & Education Consortium) is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice. NAKASEC maintains offices in Annandale and Centreville, Virginia, Chicago, Illinois and Los Angeles/Orange County, California. Our work in Virginia began in 2012, and current programs include Community Organizing, Civic Engagement, Community Services, and Leadership Development:
NAKASEC VA organizes Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. Through community organizing, public policy advocacy, civic engagement, and youth leadership development, NAKASEC VA works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change.
The Community Organizer will work with the other organizers and D.C. Area Director to develop and inspire community leadership and activism related to economic, racial, and social justice; build partnerships; and design and implement organizing campaigns. The Community Organizer reports to the Community Health Manager.
- Recruit community members, specifically Korean speaking in Virginia, who support NAKASEC VA’s mission and in particular are impacted by and consequently want to work on demanding changes from decisions makers to increase immigrant justice, expand health care access for all, and expand language access.
- Create opportunities for individuals and organizations to exercise leadership and civic participation, such as community meetings, direct actions, trainings, meetings, and other tactics to move the campaigns forward on a regular basis.
- Listen to and develop the skills and political consciousness of community members so that they can effectively provide guidance on campaigns.
- Support community members in participating and organizing public meetings, legislative visits, advocacy days, mobilizations, etc.
- Conduct outreach in Northern VA to Korean American businesses, faith institutions, community groups, ethnic media, etc. using traditional media and social media (such as KakaoTalk) to promote community services and to move changes in policy and programs.
- Facilitate community meetings.
- Represent NAKASEC VA as needed in coalition meetings and other public spaces.
- Develop community education resources in Korean as needed.
Service Provision (20%)
- Provide Korean language support for community services (naturalization, health care access, etc.).
- Report outcomes of these services.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Participate in year-round organizing, civic engagement, and fundraising campaigns with
rest of NAKASEC VA team
- Other duties as assigned
KEY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Mission alignment: Commitment to social, economic and racial justice. A belief in community’s ability to support each other, organize and achieve desired goals together.
- Bilingual in English and Korean (spoken). Plus if can read/write Korean fluently.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Experience building relationships with folks from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Open to learning and trying new experiences.
- Ability to work well with others or in a team.
- Self-motivated and able to develop and move projects forward.
- Create, track and meet deadlines, as well as organizing workplans.
- Willing to work some weekends and evenings.
- Driver’s license and access to car.
Location: Annandale, VA and Centreville, VA
Job Type: full-time
Salary & Benefits: $40K (negotiable), commensurate with experience and full health, dental, and vision insurance
Email your resume and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “NAKASEC VA Community Organizer (Korean speaking)” by 11:59 PM, July 10, 2020. Supplementary: submit up to two paragraphs as to why this position interests you.
This job position has been filled.
NAKASEC VA is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, LGBTQ+ candidates, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.