ABOUT NAKASEC VA
NAKASEC VA (National Korean American Service & Education Consortium – Virginia) organizes Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. Through community organizing, public policy advocacy, civic engagement, and youth leadership development, NAKASEC-VA works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change.
The New Leaders Collective (NLC) Health Organizing Internship provides an opportunity for three (3) individuals aged 17-24 years old to expose students to grassroots activism and organizing and support and contribute to ongoing campaigns and projects, with a focus in health access for Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities. This cohort will have a special focus on AAPI women, female and femme-identifying, and gender non-conforming individuals.
Through firsthand involvement in local organizing, outreach, and personal research projects, students will develop their organizing skills and a deeper understanding of the healthcare challenges present in today’s society and the role of health justice in a larger social justice context.
The internship seeks to:
- Introduce students to a range of healthcare issues that impact a variety of AAPI communities – including immigrant and undocumented communities, low-income and working-class residents, and multilingual and low-English speakers;
- Develop participants’ strategic outreach and organizing skills;
- Develop participants’ research and communication skills;
- Positively contribute to the efforts of community groups working towards healthcare justice to increase health access at the local, state, and federal level; and
- Promote the next generation of AAPI organizers and changemakers.
*** In the event that group convenings are still limited due to COVID-19 by the time the program starts, the curriculum will be subject to change and may be done virtually. ***
This year’s program will begin June 15, 2020, and conclude August 14, 2020 (9 weeks total). Work hours are 20 hours/week, M-F, 1 pm – 5 pm.
Applicants MUST be available for the entire duration of the program as this is an intensive, collaborative program.
Location: Annandale, VA and Centreville, VA
Job Type: Internship
KEY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Demonstrated interest, knowledge, and/or background in the major issues facing the Asian American & Pacific Islander community, including 1st and 2nd generation immigrant communities
- Strong commitment to social, economic, racial, and gender justice, health access, community organizing and building power of underrepresented Asian communities
- Works well in a challenging environment both independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to prioritize and problem solve efficiently;
- Demonstrated ability to meet multiple deadlines; able to develop and move projects forward with independence and autonomy
- Takes initiative, has excellent oral and written communication and time management skills;
- Ability to take direction and constructive feedback in an advocacy setting, and translate learned theory into practice
- Effectively empathize and build intentional relationships with community members, partners, and organizations
- Access to a computer to attend virtual meetings and complete online tasks, and reliable transportation to attend in-person meetings (depending on COVID-19 situation).
Please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by 11:50 p.m., April 20, 2020:
- Short essay (1 page maximum) answering:
- Why are you interested in this position?
- What does social justice in an Asian American context mean to you?
- What do NAKASEC’s values and mission mean to you?
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the program reaches capacity. edit 4/21: APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED.
NAKASEC VA is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, LGBTQ+ candidates, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.