Posted: April 19, 2019
Full Time Based in Annandale, VA
NAKASEC is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice.
NAKASEC maintains offices in Annandale, Virginia, Chicago, Illinois and Los Angeles/Orange County, California. Our work in Virginia began in 2012, and current programs include Immigrant Rights Organizing, Civic Engagement, Citizenship Promotion, and Youth Leadership Development.
Position Description: The Community Engagement Organizer will work closely with NAKASEC VA staff to reinforce NAKASEC VA’s presence in Virginia by establishing strong relationships with partners in addition to providing community education to the community-at-large, providing referrals to individuals, and supporting NAKASEC VA members. All staff at NAKASEC VA is expected to participate in organizing and fundraising campaigns.
- Do direct outreach to Asian American & Pacific Islander community sites, such as small businesses, faith institutions, civic and business associations, social service organizations, ethnic media outlets, and others in Northern Virginia and Central Virginia to identify new local partners and new community education event opportunities, as well as promote NAKASEC VA programs and services.
- Meet with local partners as needed and spearhead our efforts to brand NAKASEC VA as a trusted source of information and referral in the area.
- Set up and conduct community education presentations on a variety of issues on a consistent basis.
- Table at community events throughout the year.
- Proactively identify individuals that can get involved with NAKASEC VA’s policy and programmatic priorities and connect directly with appropriate staff.
- Keep abreast of important community education topics by participating in key meetings, forums, conferences, and other vehicles to identify community education needs and analysis.
- Support community members in participating in NAKASEC VA events (such as public meetings, planning retreats, advocacy days, fundraisers, mobilizations, etc.) and in organizing local events (such as legislative forums or actions).
- Provide information for grant submission and reporting as needed.
Service Provision (20%)
- Coordinate with Community Services Coordinator to promote services, and as needed provided language support.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Participate in year-round organizing, civic engagement, and fundraising campaigns with rest of NAKASEC VA team, including promoting and recruiting NAKASEC VA membership in the community.
- Other duties as assigned.
Key Qualification Criteria:
- Mission alignment: Commitment to immigrant rights and social, economic and racial justice for and with Asian American communities. A belief in community’s ability to support each other, organize and achieve desired goals together.
- Strong inter-personal skills: skills including the ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds. Ability to read people and build relationships that move people to action. Able to think beyond the immediate service requested and connect a person’s need to long-term organizing and civic engagement.
- A passion for justice, a talent for problem-solving and able to cope with stressful situations.
- A willingness to learn and the ability to work independently with guidance as well as with a team.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Pluses: Experience working on Korean American, Asian American, immigrant community issues and/or social, economic and racial justice issues; experience working with community members through service, education, organizing and/or advocacy; and demonstrated track record of working collaboratively in local partnerships and/or with multi-ethnic or multi-sector communities.
- A valid driver’s license, car and car insurance.
- Bilingual in English and Vietnamese is a must.
Note that this position is funded for one year by the Virginia Civic Engagement Table (VCET) through June 30, 2020. While the employer is VCET, the Community Engagement Organizer will report to the NAKASEC D.C. Area Director. The salary is $40K and has full health, dental, and vision insurance.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to email@example.com. Please write subject heading “NAKASEC VA Community Engagement Organizer.”
NAKASEC VA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.