Posted: June 25, 2019
Full Time Based in various locations in Northern Virginia
NAKASEC is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. NAKASEC’s mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice. Our work in Virginia began in 2012, and current programs include Immigrant Rights Organizing, Civic Engagement, Citizenship Promotion, and Youth Leadership Development.
Position Description: The Community Health Organizer is a full-time position who will recruit, engage, and activate Asian American & Pacific Islanders (AAPIs) to address inequities in health access for AAPIs and immigrants in Prince William County. This is a new organizing area for NAKASEC VA in terms of issue area and geography, and the Community Health Organizer will coordinate this initiative with support from other members of the NAKASEC VA staff. All staff at NAKASEC VA is expected to participate in organizing and fundraising campaigns
- Work closely with the D.C. Area Director to develop and implement a workplan for health care organizing in Virginia, with a focus on Prince William County.
- Conduct outreach to build a base of AAPIs in Northern Virginia who are directly impacted by health care issues to become engaged stakeholders and are invested in long-term systems change to expand health care access.
- Stay informed of key public health and language access equity issues affecting AAPIs and immigrants in Northern Virginia to systemically define and revise NAKASEC VA’s health equity priorities.
- Co-manage a team of part-time organizers who will survey and capture barriers to health access and health care experienced by AAPIs experiences, as well as provide direct non-partisan education about Virginia elections and the Census 2020.
- Advance greater understanding regionally of the role of racism and xenophobia as it intersects with health care access.
- Support leaders in participating in NAKASEC VA events (such as public meetings, planning retreats, advocacy days, fundraisers, mobilizations, etc.) and in organizing local events (such as community meetings).
- Support community members to represent NAKASEC VA’s positions and priorities, which in turn have been informed by community members’ lived experiences.
- Represent or coordinate representation of NAKASEC VA in coalitions, service settings, and policy forums related to health, health reform, health disparities, and health equity with D.C. Area Director.
- Provide information for grant submission and reporting as needed.
- Work with D.C. Area Director to coordinate with CASA and other partners on health care service and organizing.
- Coordinate traditional media work, mass communications, and digital organizing with NAKASEC VA’s Resource Organizer and D.C. Area Director.
Service Provision (20%)
- Build relationships with safety-net healthcare providers in Northern Virginia, with a focus on Prince William County.
- With Community Services Coordinator, provide health care access, systems navigation, and referral services (training to be provided).
- Keep track of service data, including follow-up and satisfaction surveys.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Participate in year-round organizing, civic engagement, and fundraising campaigns with rest of NAKASEC VA team, including promoting and recruiting NAKASEC VA membership in the community.
- Other duties as assigned.
Key Qualification Criteria:
- Mission alignment: Commitment to immigrant rights and social, economic and racial justice for and with Asian American communities. A belief in community’s ability to support each other, organize and achieve desired goals together.
- 2 years of community organizing experience and/or community outreach and service provision.
- Strong inter-personal skills: skills including the ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds. Ability to read people and build relationships that move people to action.
- A passion for justice, a fighting sensibility, and a talent for problem-solving (including being able to recognize situations and take appropriate action and think through the consequences of a decision prior to making it).
- Takes prompt action to accomplish tasks and meet goals and objectives, and can identify potentially more effective ways to work as well as opportunities.
- Can work independently, as well as with a team.
- Be motivated to learn new skills and practice effective interpersonal communication.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Pluses: Experience working on Korean American, Asian American, immigrant community issues and/or health care issues; experience working with grassroots advocacy; and demonstrated track record of working collaboratively in local partnerships and/or with multi-ethnic or multi-sector communities.
- A valid driver’s license, car and car insurance.
- Bilingual in English and an Asian language (such as Korean, Vietnamese, etc.) an asset.
- Residence in Northern Virginia preferred.
The NAKASEC VA Community Health Organizer reports to the NAKASEC D.C. Area Director. NAKASEC VA offers a salary ($40K) commensurate with experience and full health, dental, and vision insurance.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write subject heading “NAKASEC VA Community Health Organizer.”
NAKASEC VA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We support service to community, with national & international impact, & the ability to make a difference. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply for open positions at NAKASEC.