Location: Chicago, IL
Annual salary range: $60,000-$70,000
Founded by local community-based organizations in 1994, NAKASEC’s mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, racial and economic justice. NAKASEC is a network of affiliates and partners. Through political education, community organizing, direct action, public policy advocacy and civic participation, the NAKASEC network ensures that our most marginalized community members can impact progressive change, rooted in our values.
NAKASEC is a leading Asian American organization advocating for systemic change at the local, state and federal levels. The Development Manager will play a key role in a team effort to ensure NAKASEC and our network has the resources needed to support movement building, organizing and advocacy campaigns, and infrastructure development. We are searching for someone who is excited to leverage their relationship building abilities, strong research and writing skills, creative thinking, and also enjoys participating in marches and direct actions. The Development Manager will report to NAKASEC’s Executive Director.
- Co-develop, implement and evaluate an institutional and individual donor cultivation strategy for the NAKASEC network with the Executive Director.
- Oversee institutional fundraising (foundations and corporations) including grant research, prospecting, proposal writing and reporting.
- Work closely with the Executive Directors and staff of NAKASEC network affiliates to collect information and write proposals and reports.
- Assist the membership team with developing the revenue side of NAKASEC’s membership program.
- Coordinate fundraising events including the annual gala with an affiliate, Giving Tuesday, end of the year holiday donations and other fundraising opportunities.
- Develop, experiment with and implement creative online fundraising strategies.
- Oversee and manage fundraising database and tracking systems.
- Develop and staff the Board Fundraising Committee.
- Hire and supervise other fundraising staff, fellows and interns as needed.
- Create and manage gift recognition programs.
- Participate in coalition building efforts as relevant.
- Speak publicly on behalf of NAKASEC as needed.
- Participate and play a role in NAKASEC’s campaigns, direct actions and community events as needed.
Other duties as assigned
Experience & Skills Needed:
- Strong vision of community empowerment and deep commitment to change the world with marginalized communities.
- 3+ years of experience in grant writing and reporting and/or individual donor cultivation.
- Experience building relationships with individual and institutional donors.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Experience tracking and analyzing data and with evaluation.
- Strong understanding of issues facing the Asian American community and other marginalized communities including people of color, women, and LGBTQ community members.
- Understanding of community organizing, public policy advocacy and movement building.
- Willingness to be a bold, out-of-the-box and creative thinker.
- Able to execute day-to-day tasks and work independently.
- Enjoys both listening to and sharing ideas and opinions.
- Ready to resist racism, patriarchy, homophobia, classism and ableism.
- Believes that collective groups can be more powerful than individuals.
- Ability to work well in and build a team and is committed to modeling the world we want to see inside the organization and its campaigns and programs.
- Ability to work well in and build coalitions.
- Ability to travel.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Bilingual in English and an Asian language preferred.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Health care and other benefits are included.
Please send cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com by September 30th, 2021.