NAKASEC National Organizing & Policy Coordinator
Full Time Position
Location: Chicago, IL
Founded by local community-based organizations in 1994, NAKASEC’s mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, racial and economic justice. NAKASEC’s affiliates: Korean Resource Center in Los Angeles and Orange County, Hana Center in Chicago and NAKASEC Virginia in Annandale empower the most vulnerable community members including the low-income, recent immigrant, limited English proficient, undocumented, youth, women and seniors. Through education, social service, community organizing, public policy advocacy and civic participation, NAKASEC & Affiliates ensure that these community members can impact progressive change at the local and national levels.
NAKASEC is one of the few national Asian American organizations that engages grassroots people in national organizing and advocacy programs and campaigns. NAKASEC and affiliates strongly believe that systemic change that benefits everyone results when folks who are most impacted by injustice act collectively through organizing, advocacy and civic engagement.
- Immigrant Rights & Civic Engagement Campaigns: Working with NAKASEC’s Chicago affiliate HANA Center to implement campaigns at the local level towards national campaign goals.
- Adoptee Rights Campaign: Work in close collaboration with the Adoptee Rights Campaign to support campaign development, implementation and evaluation.
- New Affiliates & Partners: Coordinate NAKASEC’s efforts to build new affiliates and partners in strategic cities/states including conducting listening sessions, meeting with local community-based organizations and state coalitions and researching the local political landscape.
- Monitoring public policy developments related to NAKASEC’s campaigns and programs.
- Providing policy updates and briefings for NAKASEC affiliates as needed.
- Communicating and building relationships with government and elected officials’ offices.
Coalition and Community building
- Participate in, develop and lead coalition efforts with NAKASEC’s current national and local partners for its current campaigns and programs including the DREAM Act and Adoptee Citizenship Act.
- Develop and grow relationships with new and non-traditional partners.
Experience & Skills Needed:
- Bilingual in the Korean and English languages.
- Strong vision of community empowerment and deep commitment to social change for marginalized communities.
- Willingness to be a bold and creative thinker.
- Experience organizing Asian Americans towards social, racial and economic justice issues
- Experience engaging immigrant Asian Americans in organizing and advocacy campaigns and activities.
- Background in supporting leadership development of impacted Asian American community members.
- Strong understanding of issues facing the Asian American community and other marginalized communities including people of color, women, and LGBTQ.
- Strong writing skills.
- Strong communications skills both with staff members and community members.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Ability to build and work in coalitions.
- Ability to travel.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Health care and other benefits are included.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
The deadline for applying is Friday, December 8, 2017. Interviews will occur on a rolling basis so try to get your application in as soon as possible.
NAKASEC is an equal opportunity employer.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.