NAKASEC Communications Coordinator
Location: Chicago, IL
We are on the search for a clever innovator, strategic thinker, efficient researcher and strong,
creative writer to join our team. The ideal candidate for this position is one who trusts and
believes in NAKASEC’s theory of change and is ready to push our work to the next level.
Founded by local community-based organizations in 1994, NAKASEC’s mission is to organize
Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, racial and economic justice. NAKASEC’s
affiliates: Korean Resource Center in Los Angeles and Orange County, Hana Center in Chicago
and NAKASEC Virginia in Annandale empower the most vulnerable community members
including the low-income, recent immigrant, limited English proficient, undocumented, youth,
women and seniors. Through education, social service, community organizing, public policy
advocacy and civic participation, NAKASEC and affiliates ensure that these community
members can impact progressive change at the local and national levels.
NAKASEC is a leading Asian American organization advocating for systemic change at the
local, state and federal levels. It also just completed a Communications Plan towards building a
more robust communications infrastructure and expansion of its digital engagement. We need a
staff member who can amplify our organizing, policy and communications capacity nationally.
- Monitoring and responding to current news events through NAKASEC’s social, racial
and economic justice lens.
- Drafting, coordinating and disseminating statements that respond to timely events for
NAKASEC & affiliates.
- Drafting, coordinating and disseminating public policy papers, fact sheets and talking
- Producing communications materials for NAKASEC campaigns including fliers, talking
points, fact sheets and other relevant materials.
- Providing speaker trainings for community leaders to prepare them for press interviews
and speaking at meetings and events.
- Curating the oral history of NAKASEC and affiliates and present-day stories.
- Developing a digital communications campaign and managing the day to day social
media engagement .
- Media monitoring and reporting.
- Coordinating and updating content for NAKASEC website.
- Drafting NAKASEC’s monthly e-newsletter.
- Producing communications materials for fundraising purposes.
- Assisting with grant reporting and donor development.
- Analysis/politics around racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, economic inequality,
ableism and other social, economic and racial justice issues.
- Strong vision of community empowerment and deep commitment to social change for
- Writing policy papers, statements and talking points
- Lived experience and deep investment in digital communications and social media (Engaging people on Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, etc.)
- Previous work in movement spaces.
- Must be social media savvy – able to use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat
- Experience in building relationships with ethnic and mainstream media outlets\
- Strong research, writing and communication skills
- WordPress proficiency – need them to go through the website and make basic updates
(bios, address, content etc)
- Social media content creation
- Experience with a CRM
- Understanding around traditional strategic communications as well as digital strategy
- Creative thinker
- Must be able to create culturally relevant social media content for the Asian American
- Enjoys working on a team
- Bilingual in Korean and English a plus
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Health care and other benefits are included.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for applying is Friday, October 20, 2017. Interviews will occur on a rolling basis so try to get your application in as soon as possible. NAKASEC is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.