Position Announcement: Virginia Civic Engagement Coordinator
NAKASEC is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice.
NAKASEC maintains offices in Los Angeles and Annandale, Virginia. NAKASEC has affiliates in Los Angeles (Korean Resource Center), in Chicago (Korean American Resource & Cultural Center) and a growing base in Annandale, Virginia (NAKASEC VA). Its work in Virginia began five years ago and current programs are centered around Civic Engagement, Youth Programs, and Immigrant Rights. NAKASEC VA’s work is focused on the most vulnerable community members including low-income, recent immigrants, limited English proficient, undocumented, youth, women, and seniors.
NAKASEC VA’s Civic Engagement Coordinator will be a key member of a local-national team to grow an informed base of supporters who can engage in and sustain NAKASEC’s civic engagement programs, including voter education, registration, and engagement and naturalization and other immigrant services. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate and grow NAKASEC VA’s group of Korean and Asian American volunteers and community leaders, particularly bilingual and Korean-speaking individuals.
- Recruit, train, and develop volunteers and community leaders to provide naturalization application assistance and participate in civic engagement activities.
- Provide naturalization application assistance one-on-one and organize naturalization workshops to meet funding deliverables.
- Expectation to study for and obtain partial Department of Justice Accreditation (formerly known as Bureau of Immigration Affairs or BIA accreditation).
- Develop, coordinate and implement Civic Engagement programs and campaigns including voter registration, voter education and Get Out the Vote (GOTV).
- Conduct and coordinate extensive voter outreach activities (with a team) including door knocking, phone banking and outreach at small businesses, markets, community events and religious institutions.
- Coordinate the operation of the Voter Hotline.
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with relevant community leaders, community-based organizations and coalitions to enhance NAKASEC VA activities and campaigns.
- Work closely with NAKASEC VA’s staff to coordinate activities and campaigns, including relevant media and publicity efforts.
- Work with, collaborate and coordinate with NAKASEC VA’s national organization, NAKASEC on activities and campaigns.
- Assist with fundraising opportunities to support NAKASEC VA and provide information about the program for grant submission and reporting as needed.
- Public speaking at conferences and events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Key Qualification Criteria
- Commitment to immigrant rights and social, economic and racial justice.
- A belief in community’s ability to organize and achieve desired goals together.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to take initiative.
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to think creatively, prioritize multiple projects, and commitment to learning.
- Ability to think independently.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- A valid driver’s license, car and car insurance.
- Bilingual in the Korean and English languages is an asset.
- Residence in Northern Virginia preferred.
The NAKASEC VA Civic Engagement Coordinator reports to the NAKASEC DC Area Director. NAKASEC offers a salary commensurate with experience and full health, dental, and vision insurance.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and salary history and expectations to email@example.com. Please write subject heading “NAKASEC VA Civic Engagement Coordinator.”
NAKASEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.