NAKASEC Membership Organizer
Location: Chicago, IL
Annual Salary Range: $50,000 – $60,000
Founded by local community-based organizations in 1994, NAKASEC’s mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, racial and economic justice. NAKASEC is a network of affiliates and partners. Through political education, community organizing, direct action, public policy advocacy and civic participation, the NAKASEC network ensures that our most marginalized community members can impact progressive change, rooted in our values (live right, know your roots, live strong, and live together).
NAKASEC is a leading Asian American organization advocating for systemic change at the local, state and federal levels. We see membership as a critical component of organizing, narrative change, and organizational sustainability. We are seeking a Membership Coordinator who can assist the Membership and Political Education Manager with building a more robust membership infrastructure that will ultimately expand our reach and base, deepen our own understanding of our community’s issues of importance to them and help provide the grassroots people power needed to create social change for justice. The Membership Coordinator will report to NAKASEC’s Membership and Political Education Manager.
Creative Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Co-developing and implementing an annual Membership Plan with the goal of supporting NAKASEC’s broader strategies and growing/developing our membership base
- Co-overseeing the growth of NAKASEC’s membership base including membership lists, membership retention, social media followings and other platforms where we can access real life people.
- Creating conditions and opportunities within NAKASEC that allow for members to move up our ladder of engagement with the understanding that we are building the leaders of the future.
- Developing, coordinating and implementing creative membership strategies that accompany NAKASEC’s organizing and advocacy campaigns. This includes plugging members into active campaigns and/or creating opportunities alongside the Community Organizers for members to get involved in campaigns and help meet campaign goals.
- Assisting with rapid response actions as needed. Being able to be proactive and take initiative to support those most impacted by the rapid response action at hand.
- Conducting regular one on one’s with current or potential new members.
- Leading/overseeing recruitment of new members.
- Co-creating and co-facilitating monthly member meetings with the Membership and Political Education Manager.
- Co-managing the membership side of NAKASEC’s database with the Membership and Political Education Manager.
- Providing membership orientations for new members and potential members to encourage membership participation and retention.
- Building relationships with NAKASEC members and encouraging their active leadership and participation in our campaigns, meetings, and our vision and mission.
- Participating and playing a role in NAKASEC’s campaigns, direct actions and community events as needed and plug members into campaigns.
- Managing development, distribution and maintenance of all print and electronic membership content including but not limited to monthly e-newsletters, brochures, and NAKASEC’s website.
- Working with the Communications team to develop the generation of online content that drives social media followers, email listserv folks, and website users to join our membership program.
- Track and measure the membership ladder of engagement over time. Develop reports as needed.
Other duties as assigned
Experience & Skills Needed:
- Strong vision of community empowerment and deep commitment to change the world with marginalized communities.
- 1+ years’ experience in a membership, organizing, customer service, or communications role.
- Experience managing multiple projects and working with people.
- Strong writing skills.
- Strong understanding of issues facing the Asian American community and other marginalized communities including people of color, women, and LGBTQ community members.
- Understanding that we are meeting people where they are and that most people do not have the same access to education, resources, diverse communities, and the like that other people may have access to.
- Understanding that we are building the people power needed to advance our mission and to help create a just world that allows for all people to live and thrive.
- Willingness to be a bold, out-of-the-box and creative thinker.
- Able to execute day-to-day tasks and work independently.
- Experience working in a team.
- Enjoys both listening to and sharing ideas and opinions.
- Ready to resist racism, patriarchy, homophobia, classism, ableism and other forms of structural and institutional oppression.
- Believes that collective groups can be more powerful than individuals.
- Ability to work well in and build a team and is committed to modeling the world we want to see inside the organization and its campaigns and programs.
- Ability to work well in and build coalitions.
- Bilingual in English and an Asian language preferred.
- Experience with ThruText, Hustle, and New Mode preferred.
- Experience with WordPress, Square Space, and/or HTML preferred.
- Experience with Power Base or another CiviCRM database preferred.
- People-oriented, solutions-oriented, active listening-oriented, patient, and understanding person strongly preferred.
- Ability to travel.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Health care and other benefits are included.
NAKASEC is an equal opportunity employer.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample to: email@example.com
Deadline: Thursday, September 30th, 2021